Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ratface Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 10:17 PM
    Problem with Landlord
    What city agency do I contact about problems getting my landlord to make repairs both in my apartment and in the common areas?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Where do you live?

In some places, you can go out, hire some guy to fix your problems, then deduct it from your rent that you have to pay your landlord.

This all depends on where you live since all the laws are somewhat different.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 12, 2006, 06:01 AM
    If they are issues that concern your health, then first contact your city's Department of Health. If they are other issues, try contacting your city's Building Department. Also go to http://realestate.findlaw.com/tenant to read about your landlord's repair obligations. You can click on the Resources link to get specific laws for your state.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2006, 06:14 AM
    You also have the right to give your rent to the local Clerk of Courts. They will retain it and demand that the landlord make the repairs before giving it to him.

... that is, if he is not honoring the terms of the lease as far as his responsibility for the timliness of the repairs.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2006, 06:44 AM
    I would check your tenancy agreement first. If you are renting privately their could be a cluase in the contrcat that states you have to sort any repairs etc out yourself. If you have signed this then you there by agreed to the terms & conditions and the landlord won't have to do a thing and you won't have a leg to stand on.

Be certain he is liable for the repirs etc before you do anything.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Just a note to add to that: In some states it is not enforceable for the landlord to require that the tenant do his own maintenance (in a residential dwelling) even if it's a part of the lease and agreed to by both parties.

You should research "Landlord Tenant Law" in your state... and compare it to your Lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad landlord [ 3 Answers ]

Should I refuse to pay rent if landlord is not being responsible about making repairs

Landlord wants us out in 30 days [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Pennsylvania. We work in the ministry. We've been living rent free, without a lease for 3 years in an apartment donated by a friend of our ministry. We have communicated our intention to stay here until 11/07 to our landlord and his manager. The manager assured us that it was not a...

Tenant vs. Landlord, VA [ 4 Answers ]

This one is a bit complicated... any help would be greatly appreciated... I was told by a woman I was working with that she had a house I could move in to and pay her "whatever" for the moment because she was paying the mortgage and it was empty. Something is better than nothing. I moved in...

Can the landlord be responsible? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I am new here and have a rather important question. The tenant next door to me is extremely bothersome with his loud music and late night arguments with women. I have called the police on several occasions but this last one he went into a tantrum yelling expletives and told me that "i watch...

Am I a Landlord? [ 7 Answers ]

I invited my 25 year old daughter and her small children to come to my house and live after they were homeless in Florida in the fall of 2004. They arrived in March of 2005. Since moving in she and her small children have ruined my carpet, walls and one toilet. They are slobs and she hasn't...

View more questions Search