Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terrysiau Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 01:34 AM
    Whey Protein / Creatine
    Hey there
    I was wondering if you could give me some advice on these supplements.
    I am 17 years old and I am going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for medium/heavy workouts, doing a 15-30 minute run and then weights for an hour or so.
    After going to the gym it takes me about 3 days to recover.
    I have just bought a tub of whey protein (2lbs). It is called MetrX supreme whey.
    Here are the main ingredients:

Whey protein isolate
    • Whey protein concentrate
    • Branched chain amino acids(BCAAs)
    • 39g per 2 servings

I also have nutrisport creatine bombs.
    I am quite worried about the creatine as many people have warned me of kidney problems so I am quite apprehensive about taking these.
    The serving size for the whey is supposed to be 10g (2tsp) is this correct, and how often should I be taking it?
    Also, for the gym, what type of workout should I be doing to gain muscle quickly, keeping in mind that I want to become leaner as well?
    Please could you give me some advice on the safety of these supplements, and what dosage I should use, and how I should use them in conjunction with my workouts.

Thanks a lot for your time.
    MassNutrition Posts: 75, Reputation: 5

Jan 26, 2008, 11:30 AM
    DO NOT load your creatine. It is a complete waste of time and money. This was an old theory YEARS ago when creatine first came out, to help saturate the muscles quicker. Your muscles are a sponge. They will be totally saturated with creatine in approx 28 days, whether you load up or not.

Creatine does absolutely nothing to your kidneys or liver, in a negative way. Creatine is NATURALLY produced by the body EVERYDAY... approx 2g worth. You also get it naturally from red meats, dairy products, etc. So how can it be harmful to your body when it produces it naturally? Creatine is used for muscle CONTRACTION. Your body NEEDS it to function. Along with sodium and potassium, creatine helps you lift harder and heavier.

Whey protein is a "food". Biologically, it is VERY good for your muscles during the repair stages. Your body will absorb more protein through shakes than it will with chicken breasts, fish, red meat, etc. Powder, naturally, is a better form than bars... it isn't processed as much. Stick you're your shakes as an alternate source for protein, along with solid foods as already mentioned.

DO NOT spend too much time in the gym. If you do, you could put your body into a catabolic state. Damage your muscles too much, and it means less time in the gym for you. Overtraining will also kill your motivation, make you feel tired, and kills your appetite... 3 workouts per week is fine. I would even push for 4. Cut out your cardio. Cardio BURNS calories... you WANT calories to help you add weight, NOT lose them.

DIET! Diet is more important than workouts or any supplement you will take, ESPECIALLY protein! You protein intake should be higher than normal. You need calories to grow, and as long as you eat clean, you WON'T get fat.

Here are some basic rules to follow:

a) Consume calories at 14 times your body weight. So if you weigh 180lbs, you need At least 2520 calories per day to grow. As your body weight goes up, modify this number. Remember, the magic number is "14". You are 17 yrs old, and your metabolism is probably through the roof. It's hard to gain weight right? You need to fight your metabolism with good calories.

b) Comsume protein 1.5 times your body weight. So again, if you weigh 180lbs, you need At least 270g of protein per day. You need protein to repair muscle tissue. Carbs and fats won't do it alone. Protein and amino acids are the building blocks of muscle tissue.

I have been bodybuilding for 13 years now. I went from a skinny 147lb 17 yr old, to the 265lbs I am today. Trust me!

I hope this helps.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Exercise and whey won't hurt you; sorry about last message; there's a lot of facts, start with 300 calories in addition to your normal intake. Keep with natural foods, change exercise regiment wkly, stress muscles.

Jan 27, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    exercise and whey won't hurt you; sorry about last message; there's alot of facts, start with 300 calories in addition to your normal intake. Keep with natural foods, change exercise regiment wkly, stress muscles.
    Hi
    Thanks for all the help.
    I have a few more questions:
    Is it even possible to eat 1.5 times body weight, as in 200g or so protein a day?
    The reason I ask is the whey I am taking tells me to take 1 scoop a day (30g) , and I assume about 25g or so of this is protein.
    How do I get the rest of the protein, or do they just come from ordinary meals?
    Also when should I use whey in respect to my light and heavy workouts?
    Just to add I am 17 and I go to the gym at least twice a week for heavy workouts. I have a small home gym set now to do light workouts every night too ( pushups, chinups, situps, biceps curls etc). Could you advise me on my workouts and how to base my rests and how to take my protein around it?
    Should I bother with creatine, as I only have 50 lozenges(1000mg) and I have been told it is significantly more expensive than whey to maintain? What I am really asking is does it have significant extra effect in comparison to the whey protein.. as I think the whey contains some creatine monosulphate anyway. On the back of the creatine it also says don't take with high protein meals.. which concerns me most!
    Any added information you could give me to help me would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2008, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by terrysiau
    Hi
    Thanks for all the help.
    I have a few more questions:
    Is it even possible to eat 1.5 times body weight, as in 200g or so protein a day?
    The reason I ask is the whey I am taking tells me to take 1 scoop a day (30g) , and I assume about 25g or so of this is protein.
    How do I get the rest of the protein, or do they just come from ordinary meals?
    Also when should I use whey in respect to my light and heavy workouts?
    Just to add I am 17 and I go to the gym at least twice a week for heavy workouts. I have a small home gym set now to do light workouts every night too ( pushups, chinups, situps, bicep curls etc). Could you advise me on my workouts and how to base my rests and how to take my protein around it?
    Should i bother with creatine, as I only have 50 lozenges(1000mg) and I have been told it is significantly more expensive than whey to maintain? What I am really asking is does it have significant extra effect in comparision to the whey protein..as I think the whey contains some creatine monosulphate anyway. On the back of the creatine it also says don't take with high protein meals..which concerns me most!
    Any added information you could give me to help me would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    You are reading too deep into what the label is saying. It is asking you NOT to take creatine with high protein meals because creatine will bind itself to the amino acids in the protein you are consuming. When this happens, the creatine spends too much time in the gut and it gets broken down TOO MUCH and nothing is left over to be absorbed through the intestine.

All the label is saying is to take the creatine on an empty stomach. My suggestion is to take it IMMEDIATELY after every workout, or first thing in the morning on an empty stomach upon awakening on the days you DON'T workout. This is what I do personally.

Your protein intake is easy to accomplish. You should be consuming 5 or 6 small meals per day anyway. If you take in 35g of protein with every meal via solid foods or a shake, your daily total will be 210g spread across 6 meals. This is VERY easy. One scoop of whey is approx 30g there... One tin of tuna is approx 30g there... 6oz. Of whole chicken breast is approx 35g there... 6oz. Of salmon is about 32g there... 1cup of cottage cheese is approx 30g there, 1 large whole egg is 7g of protein, 1 large egg white is 3.5g of protein. See where I'm going with this? Now just add your carbs. Rice with the chicken, potato with tuna, yams with your salmon, oatmeal or cream of wheat with your eggs. These are VERY small meals, even after you add some vegetables and fruits too. Keep feeding your body. Eat one of these small meals every 3 hours approx. GRADUALLY get into this type of eating and diet. Build your metabolism slowly... You will see results in NO time...

Jan 27, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Also, I forgot to mention... Use your protein powder daily. It is a FOOD. There is nothing magical about it. It won't put slabs of muscle on you, but at the same time, you can't put on slabs of muscle without it either. Use it to supplement your protein intake wherever you need it. Don't limit yourself to one shake a day... Take 2 shakes if you have to. Even have one BEFORE bed. Give your body something to build your muscles while its in its greatest recover and healing stage... while you SLEEP. If you sleep for 7 or 8 hours per night, what are you feeding your body with? Keep your body in an anabolic environment as often as possible, rather than a catabolic one...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 01:13 AM
    There are also links to questions concerning similar subjects at the bottom of this page that you might want to consider clicking on to see what the answers have been.

Jan 28, 2008, 12:06 PM
    OK. One last question. If I do a workout at home every other day, how much creatine and whey should I take in grams, I addition to set meals? My creatine capsules are 1000mg creatine and 1000mg dextrose each, and my whey is 20g isolate per serving(spoon).
    When should I take them? Any other nutrients I need?
    I have just bought some new weights to work along with these and I would like to get my new training scheme up and running asap!
    Please give me a full answer if possible, as I am going to listen to your instructions and wait for the progress!
    Thanks!

Jan 28, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MassNutrition
    Also, I forgot to mention... Use your protein powder daily. It is a FOOD. There is nothing magical about it. It won't put slabs of muscle on you, but at the same time, you can't put on slabs of muscle without it either. Use it to supplement your protein intake wherever you need it. Don't limit yourself to one shake a day... Take 2 shakes if you have to. Even have one BEFORE bed. Give your body something to build your muscles while its in its greatest recover and healing stage... while you SLEEP. If you sleep for 7 or 8 hours per night, what are you feeding your body with? Keep your body in an anabolic environment as often as possible, rather than a catabolic one...
    OK. One last question. If I do a workout at home every other day, how much creatine and whey should I take in grams, I addition to set meals? My creatine capsules are 1000mg creatine and 1000mg dextrose each, and my whey is 20g isolate per serving(spoon).
    When should I take them? Any other nutrients I need?
    I have just bought some new weights to work along with these and I would like to get my new training scheme up and running asap!
    Please give me a full answer if possible, as I am going to listen to your instructions and wait for the progress!
    Thanks!

Jan 28, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Each capsule is 1g of creatine. So... I would suggest taking 5 capsules immediately after your workout, preferably with juice, grape juice being the best. Wait 30min from then, and have your whey protein shake. Mix 1.5 scoops of whey with water (not MILK!) or more juice. Also consume your simple carbohydrates as well, like 1 or 2 bananas (which is GOOD for the potassium your lost during your workout), raisins, honey, Gatorade, etc. This is the best time to comsume any fructose, glucose, and at best, dextrose (again, any kind of simple carb). Good luck!

Jan 28, 2008, 04:47 PM
    I also forgot to mention. Try throwing in a whey protein shake immediately before you go to bed. Also, have 2 tablespoons of all-natural peanut butter with it too. This will help "time-release" the whey powder and help slow down digestion while you sleep.

Only do this if it's in your budget. But try to do it, it will be a greater benefit than if you don't...

Jan 29, 2008, 01:38 AM
    Each capsule is 1g of creatine. So... I would suggest taking 5 capsules immediately after your workout, preferably with juice, grape juice being the best. Wait 30min from then, and have your whey protein shake. Mix 1.5 scoops of whey with water (not MILK!) or more juice. Also consume your simple carbohydrates as well, like 1 or 2 bananas (which is GOOD for the potassium your lost during your workout), raisins, honey, Gatorade, etc. This is the best time to comsume any fructose, glucose, and at best, dextrose (again, any kind of simple carb). Good luck!
    OK, great. So I take a few capsules after, the capsules are 1g creatine and 1g dextrose.
    Do I take all these vitamins shortly after the workout or is it OK to just include them in my normal diet? The packet says take 3 tablets a day max, so I am currently taking two. Is this OK, as I have been told that over a 28 day period it makes very little difference whether I take 2 or 3 a day.
    Also, where can I get this peanut butter, will normal peanut butter make a big difference?
    Currently I am taking two capsules of creatine after the workout and two in the morning on the day after(my rest day). Is this OK? Any other tips in a conclusive post would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your help
    Terry

Jan 29, 2008, 03:18 PM
    I'm not sure which packets of vitamins you are referring to, since you have never mentioned them before. You have to elaborate on what it is specifically that you are taking... is it a multivitamin pack?

I would suggest bumping up your creatine intake to the 5g (5 capsules) post-workout as I have already recommended. Your net gains will be that much greater than the 2g you are currently taking...

As for the natural peanut butter, you can get it at any grocery store and find it with the rest of the peanut butter. You can also help yourself to a tub at any Bulk Barn too (just make sure you stir it up GOOD, Haha!) The peanut oil separates easily from the peanut butter, so you have to mix it up good before you start consuming it. Just so you don't worry about what you see floating at the top in the jar when you purchase it, Haha, it's just the oil.

Regular peanut butter can be just as good. I personally try to steer away from it because it contains too much icing sugar. Manufacturers add it in to make it smoother, and to prevent the oil from separating from the peanut paste. The added sugar is a "bad" carb you don't need (especially at night), and it takes away from the total protein per serving. Natural PB has a higher protein count per serving as compared to the regular stuff... as I we both know, protein is GOOD... the more the better.

Jan 30, 2008, 01:43 AM
    I'm not sure which packets of vitamins you are referring to, since you have never mentioned them before. You have to elaborate on what it is specifically that you are taking... is it a multivitamin pack?

I would suggest bumping up your creatine intake to the 5g (5 capsules) post-workout as I have already recommended. Your net gains will be that much greater than the 2g you are currently taking...

As for the natural peanut butter, you can get it at any grocery store and find it with the rest of the peanut butter. You can also help yourself to a tub at any Bulk Barn too (just make sure you stir it up GOOD, Haha!) The peanut oil seperates easily from the peanut butter, so you have to mix it up good before you start consuming it. Just so you don't worry about what you see floating at the top in the jar when you purchase it, Haha, it's just the oil.

Regular peanut butter can be just as good. I personally try to steer away from it because it contains too much icing sugar. Manufacturers add it in to make it smoother, and to prevent the oil from seperating from the peanut paste. The added sugar is a "bad" carb you don't need (especially at night), and it takes away from the total protein per serving. Natural PB has a higher protein count per serving as compared to the regular stuff... as I we both know, protein is GOOD... the more the better.
    I do not have any other vitamins, just wondering if I need any more. I accidentally bought the organic peanut butter, it was pretty expensive but I assume that's natural too, as the oil does float on top.

So my new plan is:

Workout every other day

Workout days:
    Creatine 2 tablets in morning
    Workout
    2 tablets creatine immediately after (with fruit juice)
    1.5 scoops whey 2 hours later before sleep with peanut butter

Rest Days:
    2 creatine tablets in morning
    2 creatine tablets in afternoon
    1 scoop whey with peanut butter before sleeping

Are there any adjustments I need to make to this?
    Thanks

Jan 30, 2008, 04:20 AM
    The organic peanut butter is fine. It might have been a little pricier than the all-natural PB because it's labeled "organic".

If you want to invest in some vitamins, I would recommend a good multi-vitamin to take twice a day, along with some vitamin C and vitamin E. These are staples in providing you with the micronutrients you need to support your immune system from those tough workouts and your overall health.

I would suggest taking all 4 of your creatine capsules at once. Either take all of them immediately after your workout, or take them upon awakening on an empty stomach on non-workout days.

I keep forgetting to mention this with my other replies, but I would also recommend that in the future, should you want to try another creatine supplement, go with the powder form rather than the capsule form. It is much MUCH cheaper, and you get more for your buck.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whey protein and me [ 3 Answers ]

Well, I'm 13 and I play football, wrestle, and weighlift in my freetime. I'm just wondering what would happen if I took stuff like nitro-tech and stuff like that. Would I get like a deformed penis or something? Just wondering ty

Creatine / Whey Protein [ 20 Answers ]

Hey there I was wondering if you could give me some advice on these supplements. I am 17 years old and I am going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for medium/heavy workouts, doing a 15-30 minute run and then weights for an hour or so. After going to the gym it takes me about 3 days to recover. I...

Whey protein for teenagers [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 15 years old and I'm starting to lift weights. So I bought this protein supplement from EAS and it has Casein, Whey Protein, and Soy Protein and it's a powder that you mix with any drink. Anyway, it says don't take if you're under 18 but 2 of the pharmacists said that it's all right to take...

Creatine and Whey Protein [ 7 Answers ]

I've been working out for about 2 months now approx 4 times per week and I need to start using supplements as I don't feel I'm getting the results I should be for the effort I'm putting in, but my question is Can I use creatine before I work out and take whey protein after I work out?

Whey protein:can it harm me? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and I am hooked on whey protein simply because (I think)it tastes good after my workout and it speeds my recovery with fast digesting protein. I get EAS 100% whey protein and only take it after my work out. I am wondering if it is true that the whey can get "stuck" in your...

View more questions Search