Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tswintle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Not enough heat
    I have a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat and a Carrier 58PAV furnace. I have the TS set at 72 degrees and when it drops below that, the flame icon comes on indicating the furnace is starting so it can bring the temp back up to 72. My problem is, it will work fine like this through 4-6 cycles and then after the last successful cycle (whichever it may be) when the temp drops below 72 to say 68, it will show the flame icon on the TS but the furnace isn't going nor blower. It started doing this the last week and it has been really cold, down to 2 degrees at night (don't know if this matters) The only way to get it going again is to hit the reset switch on the furnace, which will bring it back up to desired temp. It seems to be getting worse with the cycles only reaching 72 1-2 times before the problem occurs again. I don't know if it's the TS not sending the signal to the furnace or the furnace not receiving the signal. Any clues or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. -Trent
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 10:15 PM
    It sound to me like you have a furnace problem and not a thermostat problem.
    If you have to reset the furnace it could be the flame sensor if so equipted.

Here is a copy of your thermostat manual just in case you do not have one.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/69-1800.pdf
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Your PAV has a diagnostic LED light that will blink a code. It is viewed through a small clear viewing port and is located just below a fuse on the circuit board. It will blink very quickly a number of times then slower a number of times. This is your diagnostic code. On the back of the door panel, there is a sticker that reads "LED Codes". This will give you a starting point as to what the issue may be.
    tswintle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by therinnaiguy
    Your PAV has a diagnostic LED light that will blink a code. It is viewed thru a small clear viewing port and is located just below a fuse on the circuit board. It will blink very quickly a number of times then slower a number of times. This is your diagnostic code. On the back of the door panel, there is a sticker that reads "LED Codes". This will give you a starting point as to what the issue may be.
    I know it has the LED and it is not blinking or anything, that's why it's confusing. It is also hit and miss when the problem occurs. Thanks for the help so far.
    ghkhlw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Here is where I would start. Start by taking the wires off the TS and shorting them together the furnace should now come on if it is calling for heat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

20 yr old Lennox heat pump fan blows constantly in heat mode [ 5 Answers ]

20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at night, 40's daytime UPDATE: I went outside and the unit is covered in frost on 3 sides! I've been reading on Google about frosted heat pump units and can't determine how to manually defrost it. Apparently, the auto defrost is not...

GFA Heat; Poor Heating in Apt - Heat is Trapped Near the Ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

In a nutshell: The warm-air registers in my apt are at the very top of the ten foot high walls. Hot air does not circulate properly to heat my 1-bedroom apartment. Details: Based on what I know about the basics of energy, heat rises. And I can't for the life of me understand who thought...

Why does my air handeling coil freeze up when the heat pump is in heat mode? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TRANE XL 1200 heat pump. When in the heat mode the air handeling coil freezes up, enough to block the air flow. I can turn the heat pump off and leave the air handeling unit air circulating fan on and get the ice melted. After 30 minutes or so I can turn the heat pump back to the on...

Advantages of converting from propane heat to electric heat for home use [ 1 Answers ]

When is it an advantage to convert from propane heat to electric heat in a residential home? Also could you give me a rough idea of what it costs to make this transition? Thank you. :confused:

View more questions Search