Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xsadxstarx Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 07:19 PM
    What Should I do?
    My brother has a drug addiction and my parents don't know about it and I'm scared for him but I don't know what I should do?:confused: :confused:??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 07:22 PM
    How do you know your brother is addicted? How old is he? Does he still live at home?

You really should talk to your parents about your concerns. As a sibling, there is little else you can do.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 07:38 PM
    What should you do? You talk to your parents about your concerns. Be prepared to be honest and be detailed and exact. If you know for absolutely sure your brother is addicted to drugs, then you do your part by speaking to your parents.

Speaking to your brother about this will not profit anyone - chances are, if he is addicted, he will start in with the excuses and try to manipulate the situation. Giving excuses, stalling for time, pleading, accusing you that you do not love him, etc. and so on. Addicts have a thousand excuses at their disposal.

You cannot confront him on your own. For the main reason is that you are not experienced in dealing with this kind of situation and he needs professional help. You should know that you cannot get him straight. He needs to come to the realization that he needs to become clean and stay clean. With proper intervention, this can happen.

Please tell your parents. If, for some reason, they do not believe you, then speak to your school nurse or counselor or even teacher.

Jan 24, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    How do you know your brother is addicted? How old is he? Does he still live at home?

You really should talk to your parents about your concerns. As a sibling, there is little else you can do.
    I know he's addicted because he always tells me he's high when he's at partys and I always find pot in his hiding place

Jan 24, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9

I find drugs in his hiding places in his room,he is 17,and he still lives at home
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Being on pot doesn't make someone an addict.It does make the a user,and yes, there is a difference.

What should you do?

What does his using do to you?How does it make you feel?Answering these will take you to answering you original post.

As the others said, talking to your family might be something you should do,it might also isolate you from your brother,we don't live there!

What do YOU want to do? confront him about this drug use? help him stop? is this question going to generate problems an 11 year old might not be able to handle yet?

Write back more with this post and let us know more.

Ken
    birds_lady Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 09:18 PM
    User or Addict, it is a crutch and habit forming. You best tell your parents before the problem gets out of hand and escalates into something more powerful, and trust me it could, if in fact it hasn't already. Don't be his enabler to start with. Keeping his secrets is enabling him to continue to use. Please listen to experience, some people learn the hard way and can't change the past.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search