Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0450mike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Terminating a lease
    As a landlord, can I terminate a lease on a tenant? We are moving back to town and need our house back. We have given them over 30days notice. Can we do this or is it not legal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 03:12 PM
    No you can not terminate a lease, you are bound by the lease just the same as you are bound. So you can not kick them out and if you sent them a 30 day notice they can actually sue you for that ( trying to break their written lease) So you have to wait till the lease is over to take the house back.

So you need to call them up and tell them you are sorry for the mistake and you can offer to buy the lease out, normally about 1/2 of the value of the lease left plus moving expense.

If this is a month to month rental, you can give them a 30 day notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating a Lease [ 1 Answers ]

I am currenting in a 12 month lease. My home was hit with a F2 Tornado on Sept. 16th,2007. My roof was damaged my lanai was taken off and windows destroyed. This is now Nov.28th 2007. Nothing has been fixed and now we have found mold in our roof and attic. We also believe that it is in the wall of...

Terminating my lease [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Orlando, FL. I am breaking my lease, the lease has a early termination clause, that the land is not willing to honor, claiming a new state law, which they claim gives them the right to override the lease I signed. Can the landlord do this legally without first notifying the tenants in...

Terminating a lease [ 3 Answers ]

My friends and I are college students renting an apartment in an apartment complex less then a mile from campus, which makes it ideal for a lot of students. We wanted to move in and sign all paperwork on August 1st of 2006, but the people at the apartment complex said no one would be there to...

Terminating lease [ 2 Answers ]

In December 2006 my daughter moved out of an apartment because it was a bad situation, unfortunately she did not document anything, and was afraid to express herself because of retaliation. The apartment was owned by a student who lived there and her mother. I signed the lease with my daughter...

Terminating a lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to terminate my year-long lease. I have many, many complaints about the apartment, but two of my most major ones are: the company has not cleaned up a mold problem I informed them about over a week ago and they are continually harassing us about owning a dog - threatening eviction -...

View more questions Search