Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puga66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Cashing out 401k as non resident.
    Hello,
    I'm an italian citizen now living in Italy.
    Between 1996 and end of 2001 I worked in the US under a H1B visa program.
    I contributed to my 401k plan working with 2 different companies.
    I'm now considering cashing out the retirement plan to help me paying off my house here in Italy. Beside that, I'm only 40 years old and I do not feel very comfortable leaving those assets for 20 more years in the US where it would be difficult for my children getting access to should anything happen to me and my wife :( .
    I know that there is a 10% early withdrawal penalty.
    I'm interested to know if there is any way I can avoid having the 20% tax retention since I'm a non-resident alien. Or if it is possible to get the money back filing a 1040NR under the US-Italy tax treaty.
    Is there any way I can minimize taxes? What if I rollover the money on a retirement fund here in Italy?
    Can anyone help me with some advise?
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2006, 12:56 PM
    Puga66:

There are provisions in U.S. tax law which allow you to roll the money over into U.S.-based Rollover Individual Retirement Accounts.

I do not know if you can roll this money into an Italian account, but I suspect that you can. If so, such a rollover would be tax-free.

I recommend that you contact an Italian tax professional to determine if this is possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing out 401k [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently quit working and am considering cashing in my 401k. Approx how much will I loose compared to rolling it over into a ira and then cashing that in?

Cashing out a 401k with a loan [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a loan I am paying back to my 401k and am thinking about cashing out, but I'm not sure if this is possible or not. This might not be a good idea because I'm guessing the loan would be considered part of that cash out, which means I'd be paying taxes on money I won't even be seeing...

Cashing in 401k [ 3 Answers ]

I have major amounts of debt. I am currently looking towards relocation. My question is.. If I cash out my 401k what is the penalty? Do I pay taxes on it upfront or at the end of the year? I declared bankrupcty once and unable to do it again. Lately this seems like me only other option. Any info...

Cashing out 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving to Australia from the US next year and wish to cash out my 401k. What penalties would I pay. I am not retirement age.

Cashing out 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I am 49 yrs old with a 401k sitting in a previous employers plan (about $70k) and thinking about cashing out to eliminate the debt that I have ($30K from consolidation). I don't see any other way to get out from under it. I know the consequences of doing it; penalty, taxes, lost future income....

View more questions Search