Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecrovid Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 01:29 PM
    Where can I find laminate sales online
    I have this wonderful wooden bedroom chest which needs a laminate sheet on the top. I went to Home Depo and they told me they can only sell me something of their standard sizes and I would do the cutting myself. I would like to buy a laminate sheet that is already cut (once I provide the required sizes) so that I can glue it to the chest. Does anyone out there know where I can find laminate sheet sales on-line so that I can make an order or any other laminate store in Maryland where I can buy laminate sheets? Thanks.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 11, 2006, 03:01 PM
    There are laminate shears that cut the laminate pretty easliy. If you get the shears and have no use for them afterward, save the receipt and return them when done. (trust me, its done all the time)
    How big a piece do you need? Did you check for cabinet shops in your general area?
    Is the top of the chest in that bad of shape where it can't be sanded and refinished or is this a durability issue?
    ecrovid Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Thanks for your help. I did not know there are laminate shears - I had got the impression that laminates are really tough to cut! Anyway, the dresser is actually a customized armoire which had a piece on top. When the top piece came off, the level is uneven - the edges have an even raised level by, thus the center is lower . I was considering either glass or laminate but I thought I should settle for laminate since it is durbale and I would just need to stick it on top - done! The glass would be tricky as it might break though probably it could look more cosy.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 11, 2006, 10:10 PM
    If you go w/ the laminate, dry fit it first. You'll need to buy contact cement. Spread it on the laminate and the top of the chest. When the glue dries on both surfaces its ready to be installed. Put strips of wood on the chest about every 6". Adhear one edge of the laminate to the chest top, then remove the wood strips as you work your way toward the other end of the chest top. These strips will help prevent you from accidentally sticking the laminate to the top if its not where you wan it to be.
    Also buy a laminate roller. You need this to roll the laminate to get the air bubbles out and to make sure its adhered properly after you stick it to the chest top.
    Recommend using a file to relieve the sharp edge of the laminate after its installed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate Wood Flooring [ 5 Answers ]

My husband just recently installed laminate wood flooring throughout the house. Can someone please recommend how to clean these floors? Some people have said just spray a little water and damp mop. Can it be cleaned with any kind of cleaner? I just bought some Murphy's Oil for wood floors but on...

Laying laminate flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of laying laminate flooring in a bathroom and need to cut the laminate to fit around the base of the toilet and the basin pedestal. Is there any gadgets that you can buy to help create a template? Alternatively, has anyone got any advice on how this can best be achieved. I'm...

Laminate floor help [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am new here but have a terrible problem with a laminate floor we laid about 18 months ago. We laid the floor on top of a well kept, still stuck, vinyl floor. Then the underlayment and then the laminate floor. This is in the kitchen Now here is my problem- in front of the sink,...

Cutting Laminate [ 2 Answers ]

Building a bar in my kitchen and decided to buy laminate and cover with the same color as my countertops.Now I've read that cut laminate slightly bigger then area to cover and router after glue is all set up.I read to that if you place tape where your going to cut.It can be cut with a circular saw...

Laminate floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a pergo product over a vinyl kitchen floor, do I need to remove the vinyl to the wood sub-floor? Or can I install right on to the vinyl? Also do I have to use an underlayment since the kitchen is over the basement, no sound or moisture issues? I have been advised by both ways on this...

View more questions Search