Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnainSanDiego Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Rent raised after repairs made in rental
    Our landlord recently had to replace the heating/cooling system when the old (1969!) one failed. Now they want to increase our rent. My understanding is that in CA a landlord cannot increase one's rent within 6 months of doing any kind of necessary repairs to the property. Is this true?

Also, they want to increase our security deposit for the second time with the increase in rent. Is this legal? Just because the rent goes up, we shouldn't have to pay an additional amount toward the security deposit, should we? :confused: Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 07:30 PM
    What does your rental agreement say that you signed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2008, 08:01 PM
    At the top of this forum is a sticky with links to state laws, You can check out CA laws there.

However, I would be surprised if the rules are as you state. If a landlrod's expenses increase why shouldn't they be allowed to increase rent? They can't raise rents if a lease is in effect, but if there is a periodic lease, they can.

On the security deposit, if the rent is raised they may be able ask for additional amounts up to 2 months rent for a non furnished apt and 3 months for a furnished apt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental repairs [ 8 Answers ]

My 90-year-old mother lives in a rental house in Lee County. The landlord does very little to maintain the house and now the roof is leaking badly. He has just told her that he does not intend to repair it, and if it "comes down," she will have to move out. He told her that he got an estimate for...

Tax deductions-repairs rental property [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a condo with I rent out. My last tenant moved out in December 2006, and in 2007 I spent about $20k repairing the condo. Is there a dollar limit which can be deducted on Schedule e for these repairs?

Rental Property Repairs. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm curious if anybody knows what the law in Alabama is or if you can direct me to the right people to call to find out what the rule is about repairs and the increased bills due to it. Example; We had a water leak that we noticed a couple months ago. We attempted to contact our...

Is there any law about rent increase statement made in an email? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Back in February, I asked my landlord's office about how much the increase in rent would be to rent again when the lease ends. They emailed me back saying 5% and listed the exact price. I have been emailing back and forth in regards to setting up the new lease and just decided on a day to...

Landlord still hasn't made repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I live in grass valley,ca. I rent an apartment with a washer and dryer in my unit. A while ago my dryer started leaving grease spots on our clothes and is also extremely loud when in use. I told the problem to the landlord and also filled out a "fix it" form that I gave to them. That was a month...

View more questions Search