Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wonderfurnace Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Goodman Furnace Three times to start?
    I installed a Goodman Gas furnace last year, and also installed the factory LP Gas conversion kit (gas valve regulator spring, and orifices). This furnace is installed on the second floor of my house, and the house has three other devices that are also fed from the same LP Gas tank. The tank is about 75 feet away from the house, and it has a Souther States regulator installed at the tank. The feed line is split at the house and feed two more low pressure regulators. One feed this new Goodman furnace, and a new Renzor hanging garage heater. The other regulator feeds the old part of the house that an OLD Lenox gas furnace and also one wall hanging space heater.

My question is this. Out of all four of these gas heaters, the Goodman is the only one that has ever given me a problem (I also installed the Renzor unit and did the same LP conversion to it and it is fine). When the furnace turns on, the exhaust blower starts, the hot surface igniter turns on, and then the gas valve tuns on. You can hear what should be gas coming out of the orifices, but never a flame. This furnace tries three times to start, and then locks out on the third try for an hour, then starts over again. Most of the time, the furnace will start on the third try, but if the Lenox furnace is on, or if the Goodman hasn't called for heat in several hours, then it mostly will not make the cycle.

Am I missing something here? I have checked for leaks on all the line (which is 1 inch black pipe inside by the way), I have cleaned the orifices, and I have cleaned the furnace. I still have the same problem.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 23, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Test your pressure switch by jumping it out. Any way you can test your gas pressure at the Goodman? You should have 11 inches of water column when all other gas appliances are on. You sound like a talented sort of person so maybe you can make yourself a water manometer. Look on the net to see how to make one out of a 5 foot piece of clear tubing. You will need a barbed fitting that screws into the inlet side of the gas valve. Typically these are 7/16" but measure yours first. There is an adjustment on your gas regulator if you have more or less than 11". Make sure your ignitor is lined up correctly and in the flame. Lastly, make sure your venting is proper and there is enough combustion air getting into your furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace doesn't come on.blower doesn't start [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Goodman Furnace GMP075-04 about 9 years old.. it doesn't come on when I switch my thermostat to heat... I replace the ignitor last year and it worked fine until now... blower doesn't come on either... I tried turning the air conditioner on and it works fine... I have went through the...

New Gas Goodman furnace won't start! [ 1 Answers ]

I have this problem with a brand new gas furnace, it was installed a few days ago. The heater won't work and the ac blower shuts off immediately when in ac mode. I believe the wiring is OK. The gas won't click and nothing happens when you try to start the heater from the thermostat. I bridged W &...

Goodman furnace will not start [ 3 Answers ]

Newer goodman furnace will not start on call for heat... well 1 out of 15 times it will. The little fan turns on , the HSI glows , gas valve clicks after HSI goes out. This is LP. Can Anyone help?

Goodman Furnace - brand new - won't start [ 7 Answers ]

Installed this summer, A/C works fine. First time I started the furnace (last week) it started fine, then shut off shortly (15 min. later). No led errors are reading on the board. After shutting off power to re-start the start sequence (it shuts down after 3 tries), the inducer motor starts,...

Goodman Furnace will not start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a new Goodman 80% natuaral gas furnace, GMH80451ANA. After installed, it fired right up and ran for about 30 minutes and burned off the smell from the exchanger tubes. Ran it a second time for another half hour or so, then it would not fire up again. The only thing I did was to change...

View more questions Search