Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Delow84 Posts: 309, Reputation: 45

Jan 23, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Gaining muscle
    Here's the thing, In freshmen year of high school I could lift more then me now (8-9 years later) So I am getting back into working out trying to gain muscle mass, and definition. I started with just some free wieghts (12lbs I know I'm sad) but decided to jump to 20 each arm. I did various excerises keeping in mind do more less reps with more wieght. I also do a lot of push ups, pull ups, sit ups.

I did this every other day, nothing wrong with me, now I am usually spending an 1-2 hours a day with the same excersises. Its been 2 months since I started and I notice a big difference in my arms. I think I need to get heavier wieghts now (and a bench set) because I am actually able to increase my reps with the 20's.

What is some good products to buy/eat to help with muscle mass and what are some good workouts to help with definition, and my shoulders I am kind of new at working out so I don't know what to do to get those working.

Any help is appreciated
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 05:07 PM
    As far as what to eat, protein is a must. You don't have to go crazy with it, but a high protein diet will be important for you.

Jan 23, 2008, 07:07 PM
    So like what? I eat lots of meat, other then that I don't know lol. And I drink my milk because it does the body good lol
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Haha. Well that's the first thing that comes to mind. But there's actually lots of things that are high protein.
    Meat and fish (specifically salmon and white meat poultry. Lots of red meat is not recommended because it's not as healthy)
    Keep drinking your milk. Lol yogurt, cottage cheese, any other dairy product is usually good
    Eggs. Especially the egg whites
    Soy products, like tofu.
    A lof of vegetarian products are high in protein.
    A lot of drinks and energy bars are high in protein, just read the label. Stuff like muscl millk, ensure w/ protein.
    Beans are also high in protein

Jan 23, 2008, 11:17 PM
    So meat and fish, milk and eggs, tofu... never tried it but I might, def going to get some energy bars and the ensure w protein.

Now I just need some more excercises, keep in mind all I have are 2 20lbs free wieghts. (although I am getting more)
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 11:23 PM
    I don't know if there's a trader joe's near you, but I know the one in my neighborhood has lots of vegetarian stuff (that actually tates really good!) and its all really high in protein. I think because a lot of it has tofu in it.

Jan 23, 2008, 11:35 PM
    Im going to have to check around, I'm in sa,tx so might not be in my area. But ill find somewhere I'm sure and hopefully it will taste good lol.
    MassNutrition Posts: 75, Reputation: 5

Jan 26, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Here are some basic rules to follow:

a) Consume calories at 14 times your body weight. So if you weigh 180lbs, you need At least 2520 calories per day to grow. As your body weight goes up, modify this number. Remember, the magic number is "14".

b) Comsume protein 1.5 times your body weight. So again, if you weigh 180lbs, you need At least 270g of protein per day. You need protein to repair muscle tissue. Carbs and fats won't do it alone. Protein and amino acids are the building blocks of muscle tissue.

Increase your lifting weight for sure. Your body will adapt quickly, and you now need to stimulate it with heavier weights. Challenge it, force your body to adapt, force your body to grow...

Jan 26, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Sweet thanks, I guess I need to make myself eat more of the right things. And definitely need heavier wieghts. Thanks massnutrition
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Correct diet of course, veggies, lean protein, whole grains, fruits, less sugar, (highfructose corn syrup, i.e, soda, chips, fried or fast food... Along with exercise 30-60. minutes, 4-5 times a week. And most importantly change the order, change the type, weights, evesn position of muscle, but confuse the muscles...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I gaining weight? [ 5 Answers ]

About a month ago I decided I need to lose weight, I have started walking 30min a day 5x a week, stopped eating fast food, junk food and drinking soda. I eat breakfast now rather than skip it I sip on water all day about 6-8 glasses and I have been eating pretty healthy food (lots of fruits and...

Pulled Muscle Need a way to strengthen and relax the muscle [ 4 Answers ]

Hi... my problem is in my right leg the quad muscle I can barely walk on my leg and its next to impossible to run, I was playing softball in the cold weather of Ohio, and I went to hit the ball and as I started to run my leg (quad) started hurting and I wasn't able to stand on it... I am looking...

Losing weight AND gaining muscle? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to an exercise program, and get about 2 hours of intense exercise 4 times a week, I'd like to gain muscle, but I'd also like to get rid of some fat, and I just haven't been able to do it, I'm gaining muscle, but look just as bad, what can I do to change this?

Gaining muscle [ 2 Answers ]

When I lose weight I do some weight training too but if I continue will I be really bulky like a guy??

View more questions Search