Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1527666 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Cancer Blood Test
    Please explain the difference, is there is, in reference to an AMAS Cancer Blood Test (Anti-Malignin Anti-Body in Serum) and a CEA Cancer Blood Test (Carcinoembryonic Antigen).
    Thanks,
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 08:05 AM
    AMAS - Anti-malignin antibody screen test is designed to pick up cancers well in advance of other signs and symptoms, months before conventional medical tests can detect it. However, for advanced cancer, if the antimalignin antibody is wiped out, the test won't work. For this, other types of testing is recommended.

Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) is a cancer marker to screen for colorectal cancer - it is associated with digestive tract cancers (eg of the colon) as well as other malignant and non-malignant disorders. It is recommended for those with frequent constipation, diarrhea, or bleeding piles for an initial diagnostic tool. It can also help detect Medullary thyroid cancer (MTC).

There are also quite a few different screening tests on the site where I got this information... Cancer Tests
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Mar 25, 2008, 01:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    AMAS - Anti-malignin antibody screen test is designed to pick up cancers well in advance of other signs and symptoms, months before conventional medical tests can detect it. However, for advanced cancer, if the antimalignin antibody is wiped out, the test won't work. For this, other types of testing is recommended.

Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) is a cancer marker to screen for colorectal cancer - it is associated with digestive tract cancers (eg of the colon) as well as other malignant and non-malignant disorders. It is recommended for those with frequent constipation, diarrhea, or bleeding piles for an initial diagnostic tool. It can also help detect Medullary thyroid cancer (MTC).

There are also quite a few different screening tests on the site where I got this information....Cancer Tests

CEA is a screening test for a lot of conditions and is not specific for colorectal cancer.
    It is elevated in cancers of the pancreas, stomach, breast, lung, and certain types of thyroid and ovarian cancer. Other conditions can elevate or falsely elevate CEA include smoking (thats a big one) , infections, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, and some benign tumors in the same organs in which an elevated CEA indicates cancer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Negative blood test and urine test! [ 11 Answers ]

Hey umm I am 3 and a half months late for my period. And I have taken several home pregnancy test and 1 blood test... all negative.during the 1st month I lost weight and now I have gained weight... just like when I was pregnant with my son. Who is almost 10 months. I've never ever been late...

Blood test or pregnancy test? [ 3 Answers ]

Is a blood test more accurate to tell if someone is pregnant than a pregancy test?

Blood test [ 5 Answers ]

Its been 2 and a half weeks since my last period is this to early to take a blood test and if so how long should I wait?? :confused:

When to take a blood test [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I am a 25 yr old woman. I think that I could be pregnant but every home test I have taken says negative. I have taken them early but I have been pregnant before so I kind of know by my symptoms that I am pregnant. How soon do you think that I can get a blood test done? Should I wait until I...

Negative pregnant test and blood test. Could I still be pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

I had an ectopic pregnancy in October 2006, and have been trying to conceive since January 07, I am 1week late for my period and have had many signs of pregnancy, including spotting a week before my period was due, since then I have had 5 negative home pregnancy tests, and a hcg level of below 1.5...

View more questions Search