Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flowergirl01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Hope to help dog cope with loss of second dog?
    Hi,

I live in St. Louis MO and have had 2 dogs, Brandie and Alix, for 11 years. I brought them home about 1 week apart from each other, so they have been together for 11 years. They were very close. Alix was very close to Brandie. She would only go outside if Brandie went out. Would only play with toys if Brandie was playing with one.

Anyway, Brandie had cancer and I just had to "put her down" on Monday night.

I was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But now I am concerned about Alix. Because she was so attached, she keeps looking around the house for her. She doesn't really know how to play with me. Mostly the dogs played tug-of-war with each other. I would throw the toy, Brandie would fetch it, Alix would try to take it and they would play. Now, I don't know how to play with Alix and she doesn't know how to play with me.

Any hints, ideas, suggestions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 11:21 AM
    This is a tough one for both of you. At least you understand what happened. Perhaps you need to play more of Brandie's role. Hold a toy in your hand and run around her. Bounce a ball and keep catching it. She may decide to go for it.

The Power of a Dog

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie-
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart for a dog to tear

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
    And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find - it's your own affair-
    But... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian Clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent.
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short time loan is as bad as a long-
    So why in - Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Rudyard Kipling.
    kristinalinda Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Oh god, why did you have to post that poem? It just killed me! It's a good one but lord, it would make a stone weep.
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Sep 26, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Good grief that poem would make a stone weep indeed! It was very touching. As for Alix, labman gave the best advice in my opinion. Best thing for her is getting oodles of love and attention. Just spending extra time with her may help fill the gap in both of your lives. I am so sorry for your loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't seem to cope after boyfriends tragic death [ 8 Answers ]

A little over a month ago my boyfriend was working on my car. He was underneath and the jack he was using slipped and the car fell crushing him. He was only 42 and very healthy. I am the one who found him and I am having a really hard time dealing with it all. I still feel like it's all a really...

Hope somebody can figure this out [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Zoro Sword company bonds pay an annual coupon of 9 1/2 %. They have 8 years to maturity and face value, or par, of $1000. Compute the present value of Zoro bonds if investors required rate of return is 10%. a) $950.00 b) $973.33 c) $ 1027.17

Boyfriend Withdrawals when stressed, how do I cope [ 8 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for almost 2 years and when he gets stressed out he withdrawals and I won't hear from him for a couple of weeks. He says he just needs to be alone but when you care about someone you want to help him. There is always going to be stress in a person life. He's not the...

Future Hope [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. For the last few months I have been experiencing that my dreams are coming true. I had a dream few days back that a terrible storm will hit us and it did hit us after few days. And many more dreams have come true. Now, I am having a dream that the world of civilisation is coming to an end....

View more questions Search