Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tari0968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Do I file federal taxes if I didn't paid any
    Do I file fereal taxes if I have not paid any I only for 3 months but only for one day a week (71/2 hours a days for 3 months ) I been on LOA for a year . I filed in 2004 (work until I went on Medical leave) I have 2 children so that why they didn't take any federal tahttps://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    :confused:xes this years I just want to know can I still file or what do I do:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Tari0968:

Since you have children, even if your income is below the minimum needed to require that you file a tax return, you will probably want to file anyway to get the Earned Income Credit. If both of your children is below age 17 and you have some earned income, you will probably be pleasently surprised as to how high yoiur refund will be due to the EIC.

Tell me how much you earned in 2005 and the ages of your children, and I will give you an estimate as to how much the EIC will be.
    tari0968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Earned income 2005
    I earned less than 2000.00 this year children age in 2005 is 17yrs old and 13 yrs
    Also my oldest son just turned 18yrs Jan 4,2006 does that make a different
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Tari0968:

With an income level at about $2,000, you will owe zero income taxes. Your maximum self-employment tax will be around $240 (assuming you got paid as an independent contractor getting a Form 1099-MUSC). And that is before you claim any expenses (such as mileage on your car) associated with your work.

You will not pay any taxes, however, because the EIC will be much more than $240. I will not know exactly how much until I get access to my computer at home.

I will check it out this evening!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Tari0968:

I just did a strawman return. If you reported $2,000 in gross income and took zero deductions for your expenses, you would receive a refund of $467, because the Earned Income Credit would more than offset any SE taxes you owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal or state taxes on inheritance money [ 6 Answers ]

:) Hi, My father recently passed away and left 50,000 dollars to shared by 4 of his children,The lump sum is to go to my brother and he is to distribute it equally,He say's about 33% has to go to federal and state taxes,We live in Ohio,can you tell me if that is true? :eek: Thanks so much...

Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years. I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india. My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4...

Settlement charges, how to claim on federal taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am not sure how to claim and what I can claim for settlement charges for my house. I was charged... 300 processing fee 345 application fee 1500 broker fee 65 tax service 50 funding fee 595 underwriting fee -38.12 interest 595 insurance premium for the year

Can I claim back FICA taxes paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working with an H-1B visa. I'm going back home in April 2006 and I am not intend to come back to the US to work. Can I claim back the Social Security and Medicare taxes I've paid?

View more questions Search