Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robpit Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Paint not as expected
    Hi:
    I recently painted a bathroom with semi-gloss paint. It did not come out as expected.
    There are two hue of colors, some dark and some light probably caused by the brush.
    I used a roller with soft brushm not sponge.
    How can I correct this problem. Perhaps using a sponge roller?
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 23, 2008, 08:45 PM
    If there's different tones or hues, it's more than likely due to uneven coverage or improper mixing.

I'd mix it up well and hit it again.

Thanks,
    Json
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 10:51 PM
    Did you put on at least two coats of paint? That could be part of the problem

Also, applying semi-gloss paint can be really tricky to get the look really even. With semi-gloss paint, you need to work quickly and avoid rolling over areas again that you have already painted, especially if it has been just a few moments after already painting them.

When painting or "cutting in" edges with a brush, it is good to apply the paint with the roller as soon as you can, so that you will avoid seeing the lines from where you "cut in" the edges after the paint has dried.

When using a roller, the recommended way of applying is to always try to stroke or roll the paint from dry areas back into wet areas. Also, the pattern that you use for rolling, if this is just a plain color and not some sort of faux finish, would be to paint in shapes like an "N" or an "M". This should help to even out the tone of the finish.
    Decorate Now Patterns Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2008, 06:48 PM
    If you painted a dark color, then the color differences may also be caused by not using a good tinted primer underneath. Again, the answer is repainting, using the tips already listed by others. (Reds are notorious for doing as you described.)
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 27, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Id prime everything first if you didn't to begin with. If you've patched anything with drywall mud and not primmed it then you will be a different finish. If you've already primmed then id say just take your time and recoat every thing again and do make sure its mixed well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much swelling is to be expected. [ 7 Answers ]

How much swelling should I expect after having my tongue pierced?

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Expected dividends [ 1 Answers ]

Ezzell Pakistan is a Public Limited Company listed on the three stocks exchanges of the country i.e. Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad. The company deals in manufacturing of Electric appliances. The research and development department of the corporation has developed a solar panel capable of generating...

She's not what I expected [ 26 Answers ]

I'm 20 yrs old. I fell absolutely in love with a young girl by accident. I felt too young (-4 yrs) but couldn't help my feelings. She told me everything I ever wanted to hear as if she read a book about me. I can read people very easily, but not her (at first). Almost two years went by of what...

View more questions Search