excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Hello rights:

I have the answer. They don't.

excon
    rights Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 11:15 AM
    When sentenced/convicted (in the year 2000 and before) a level 2 in NYS was to register for 10 years and not be on the internet... the laws were changed to life and being put on internet. This is RESENTENCING already convicted people WITHOUT THEM Committing A NEW CRIME. How is that legally possible? Yes, there are monsters out there THAT SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY FOR LIFE, but clumping EVERY offense into the same category is morally and legally WRONG! And the FACT that the Levels do NOT go by the offense only but by past criminal records that have NO bearing on what the Registration is about. So MANY have been classified HIGHER than they should be and the "white collar' people with no past record get off with LESS than they deserve. The whole Level system is LACKING to say the least... it NEEDS to be revamped with A LIGHT at the end of the tunnel as NOT ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN ARRESTED FOR A SEXUAL OFFENCE ARE PREDATORS. Mind you, ANYONE who REOFFENDES should be locked up for life.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Hello again, rights:

Telling us about it THREE times ain't going to make us understand it any better. Besides, what are you yelling at me for? I agree with you!

But this ain't the place to state your political opinion.

excon

Jan 23, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, rights:

Telling us about it THREE times ain't gonna make us understand it any better. Besides, what are you yelling at me for? I agree with you!!

But this ain't the place to state your political opinion.

excon
    Hello Excon
    SORRY... DID NOT mean to yell at you... was yelling at the 'system'
    Don't know where to go for answers. I just found this site today and am unsure to just what it is about. I just find this whole hysteria ridiculous!! The scarlet letter attitude does NOT protect anyone!! I was molested as a child, raped by a 'friend' as an adult and I know this 'tar and feather' mentality helps NO ONE. Thought that in AMERICA EVERYONE had rights... stupid me huh?!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Where were you when the "morally and legally WRONG" law was put in place?
    Perhaps you should have your concerns put on the ballot during the next opportunity.

Jan 23, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Where were you when the "morally and legally WRONG" law was put in place?
    Perhaps you should have your concerns put on the ballot during the next opportunity.
    Apparently not reading the 'fine' print until it was too late like most of Joe Public
    "we" the people don't find out about New Laws until they are passed. Unfortunately most of these laws were POLITICAL ploys, NOT for our children safety.
    onyx410 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 09:21 PM
    You can argue to get you tier lowered. The factors are time between now and the crime, number of offenses, family structure, employment and receiving sex offender counceling

Jan 25, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by onyx410
    You can argue to get you tier lowered. The factors are time between now and the crime, number of offenses, family structure, employment and receiving sex offender counceling
    Thanks for the info... would you be chance know where or how to go about said steps?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rights
    "we" the people don't find out about New Laws until they are passed.
    But that is your fault, not the fault of the government. You can and should find out about laws that have not been passed yet. Check out your state and local government, how about Congressional Bills: Main Page

As a nursing student I frequently exchange emails with my congressmen.

As a citizen it is your right to know about bills before they are passed into law. Don't blame the government here, you have the right to know and the right to act to help change the laws before they are passed.

Jan 25, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    But that is your fault, not the fault of the government. You can and should find out about laws that have not been passed yet. Check out your state and local government, how about Congressional Bills: Main Page

As a nursing student I frequently exchange emails with my congressmen.

As a citizen it is your right to know about bills before they are passed into law. Don't blame the government here, you have the right to know and the right to act to help change the laws before they are passed.
    Thanks for the info, see I did NOT know where to look before, as most people I know don't know where to go to look up such things. So where/how did you learn of said place to look? Threw college? Not all of us have computer access therefore I feel the Government should inform us all , as they are our Civil Servants aren't they? I 'm blaming the 'system' for a 'political quick fix' instead of REAL solutions to one of the OLDEST CRIMES IN THE WORLD. Scarlet Letter attitude never helped anyone and that is what our Gov. is doing here. And what 'group' of people will be next? WE HAVE to look down the road to where all this is leading. Thanks fror the 'site' info
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 10:45 AM
    I learned it on my own, LOL. Just looked it up through Google actually.

Now, how do you propose the government inform us all? Through radio? Not everyone listens... Through television? Not everyone watches. Through newspaper? Well, I for one don't believe everything I read or hear in the liberal media.

So, it is up to us as citizens to take action to make sure that we approve of the bills that are being passed into law.

Just like the citizen who does not vote for president has no room to complain about said president... The citizen who is not well informed of bills that are in the House or Congress has no right to complain if they did not at least attempt to effect changes to that bill prior to the passing into law.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Not all of us have computer access
    That's no excuse. Every public library has public-access computers. Computer or not, a library user can march right up to the reference desk and ask for information about pending bills in state and federal government or even just to find out more about his legal situation. The reference section is full of information like that, and the reference librarian will be more than glad to give a library user the names and addresses and phone numbers of his elected officials.

And even if the library user has no valid card, the resources of the library are still accessible to him. He just can't check out material and take it out of the building.

Jan 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I learned it on my own, LOL. Just looked it up through google actually.

Now, how do you propose the government inform us all? Through radio? Not everyone listens....Through television? Not everyone watches. Through newspaper? Well, I for one don't believe everything I read or hear in the liberal media.

So, it is up to us as citizens to take action to make sure that we approve of the bills that are being passed into law.

Just like the citizen who does not vote for president has no room to complain about said president.....The citizen who is not well informed of bills that are in the House or Congress has no right to complain if they did not at least attempt to effect changes to that bill prior to the passing into law.
    I think they should DO ALL OF THE ABOVE to inform US ALL of what is happening. Just as they DO when Campaigning,, WE ALL HEAR THEM LOUD AND CLEAR THAN now don't we a:)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 10:57 AM
    I think they should DO ALL OF THE ABOVE to inform US ALL of what is happening. Just as they DO when Campaigning,,,,,,,,,,,,,WE ALL HEAR THEM LOUD AND CLEAR THAN now don't we a:)
    They do. There are tons of state and fed govt publications and reports and newsletters and journals available. The voter has to take the time to read them. Oh, and they are all shelved and available at public libraries.
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 11:01 AM
    I think they should DO ALL OF THE ABOVE to inform US ALL of what is happening.
    They do, but you have to pay attention. Watch the news... go to your local LIBRARY.

As a citizen you have to take the initiative to learn all of this.

Holy cow, I wish it were as easy as you believe it could be.

If that were the case students wouldn't be expected to go to school, but the teachers would be expected to reach out and teach the students at home.

You see, you have to do some of the work too.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 11:07 AM
    I have to spread the love, J_9...

Libraries even have things in order, like alphabetized and sequentially numbered, cataloged in binders and neatly stored on shelves, so stuff is easy to find. Start with the state statues which are indexed and in every public library.

If the library is small and doesn't have something (each library isn't big enough to own every printed piece of info in the world), they will get the needed item faxed over from another library or will tell the library user where it's located if he wants to drive there.

All one has to do is ask for information or for help in finding it. And confidentiality is our middle name.

Jan 25, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    That's no excuse. Every public library has public-access computers. Computer or not, a library user can march right up to the reference desk and ask for information about pending bills in state and federal government or even just to find out more about his legal situation. The reference section is full of information like that, and the reference librarian will be more than glad to give a library user the names and addresses and phone numbers of his elected officials.

And even if the library user has no valid card, the resources of the library are still accessible to him. He just can't check out material and take it out of the building.

Okay, valid point, there are Libraries for the Public to use, but are you suggesting that WE, The People, should have to weekly, daily, monthly go research what proposed Laws, Bills, or Human Rights are being changed? That the Government doesn't/shouldn't have the responsibility of Informing US? I'll say again, are they NOT OUR PUBLIC SERVANTS? Do they not work for US, shouldn't they put in at least half the Publicity into informing us of what is happening as they put into their Political Campaigns? I think it they should
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Okay, valid point, there are Libraries for the Public to use, but are you suggesting that WE, The People, should have to weekly, daily, monthly go research what proposed Laws, Bills, or Human Rights are being changed? That the Government doesn't/shouldn't have the responsibility of Informing US? I'll say again, are they NOT OUR PUBLIC SERVANTS? Do they not work for US, shouldn't they put in at least half the Publicity into informing us of what is happening as they put into their Political Campaigns? I think it they should
    Visit your public library and see all of what the government has written down just for you. Or did you want a personal, weekly visit from your local representative? Btw, that person has an office very close to where you live, so please drop in to discuss your situation. He/she might even visit you if you offer tea and cookies.

Your complaint is full of holes. Stop being so lazy. Do the work that the rest of us have to do in finding and reading govt publications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sex Offenders [ 19 Answers ]

Hello: I don't happen to be a sex offender - but I could be. Yes, I've wizzed in public, and yes, I went further with some girls after they said no. You?? Or are you pure? excon

Re offending, ex offenders [ 6 Answers ]

You meet a 22 year old homeless offender at the probation office who asks for help, Before taking any action, what information would you want to know and why?

Juvenile offenders [ 1 Answers ]

What are constitutional rights that adult offenders have in their criminal case, but juvenile offenders do not?

Sex Offenders [ 17 Answers ]

Are registered sex offenders allowed in public schools? What if the offender is the parent of a student? Do the laws on this change from state to state or is there a general rule of thumb among all of them? EDIT~ Let me rephrase this then because this is not anawering my question... I know...

Reclassified as hourly [ 1 Answers ]

My company has reclassified certain managers as hourly employees based on some unexplained California law(I'm employed in New Jersey). A. What could possibly be their rationale? B. As an hourly employee is my company legally required to allow me lunch breaks?

View more questions Search