Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rookie Repair man Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Blocked Hot water heat after fixing broken pipe
    Help I'm a pretty green Do it your selfer but I was able to fix a pipe that had frozen and split. Its holding pressure on the other side because There is a drain and I can have drained out 2 gallons of water. :eek:

The water was hot which leads me to believe that everything is good on that side of things. But that being said there must be a blockage of some sort on the other side which flows through a garage and could possibly be a freeze I have visually checked and not found any blockage. Any suggestions for how to unblock or find t he blockage.

HELP

HELPLESS IN HOPKINS
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2008, 08:05 PM
    A hair dryer works good for unblocking a frozen line, try feeling the line for a cold spot or look for frost on the line, Good luck, Mike

Jan 22, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc
    A hair dryer works good for unblocking a frozen line, try feeling the line for a cold spot or look for frost on the line, Good luck, Mike
    OK Sounds like a good plan if its not frozen any other ideas about how to detect a leak?
    And By The way Many thanks for the quick response. Oh and what do I do if the whole pipe is cold? Similar to other parts of the basement where I know water is flowing.

Lastly Can I use a propane torch instead of a hair dryer to speed things along? I have probably 15 feet of Pipe to check.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2008, 08:37 PM
    A torch would certainly work and I won't say the obvious about safety, start from the end farthest away from the warm water because the farther away the more apt to freeze,

Jan 22, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Well to update this last post I found the freeze in a remote hidden corner of my basement and sure enough Hot water is a flowin Baby.

Many Thanks to all those who administrate such discussions as this you give me the courage to take on challenges I wouldn't otherwise tackle. And save some money. Now it won't be a stretch to get groceries this week. Again Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! We're fixing a cast iron soil pipe & NEED HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

OK - short history of our problem! - We have a 60 yr old house - crawl space - cast iron pipes... Last week we had a back up from the washer into the tub & toilet - from the tub into the toilet... We have only 1 bath so this was VERY BAD! :( - Called Roto Rooter - $270 later - and an extra trip...

Blocked Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I had a plumber to put a new copper tank in, one problem after another. The problem now is that the pipe that feeds the water to the tank has sucked something in from the tank, How do I get it out. This is a very old house with a pipe coming from the cottage tank to feed it. Is there some...

Water htr/heat traps/pipe config. [ 2 Answers ]

Some time back I installed a new water heater and it had the factory installed heat traps. The instructions say you MAY have to install one or more 90° elbows in order to make a “U” configuration in the supply pipes. It also shows the pipes running vertically from the heater. I’ve read on various...

Fixing an elbow on a pipe against an outside wall? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a leak on an outside pipe coming from the 90 degree elbow bend (I think). I have wrapped it in that hardening tape, but it still leaks (much less now). I would like to fix the leak completely, but here are my problems. The pipe is right up against a wall, so getting around it is pretty...

Blocked central heating hot water pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help me out. A brief senario: the hot water comes out of the boiler and then goes through a pump. After this it get split up 2 ways (1) to the radiators which are hot, working and not the problem. (2) The problem path is through a hot water to water heat exchanger tank...

View more questions Search