Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Uh-Oh23 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 06:56 PM
    6-1 220. Want to get bigger legs, smaller waist-38" now, and big arms. Workout plans?
    Can anyone provide a good sustainable(maybe 3-6 months goal) workout plan for 6-1 220 age 44 with waist at 38" and want bigger arms. My goal is to get bigger legs-- defined glutes and legs- see the six pac and overall definition. Any suggestions out there? Thanks,
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Cardio to bump up metabolism, reduced portions to restrict calories without starving... all to reduce bodyfat composition

And I know, you probably don't want to hear it, but stuff like pilates can kick your core (torso) like none other. I'm pretty fit, I work out cardio 2-3 times a week and some weights, though I'm lucky to just have a strong "build" naturally...

But when I did the into to pilates dvd with my wife, after weeks of her begging me to try it, it kicked my arse. Get over the macho mindblock and try a pilates dvd. Next day it had me aching in areas I was just not hitting otherwise, and I think it hit my abs really well and helped define them better than I would have without within a few weeks.

Honestly, much of it is about deliberate breathing and control over muscle groups, which bodybuilders do as well... so it wasn't a stretch for me, as id read about some of the ideas... the lower back and abs stuff was really good... and it only gets tougher in advanced tapes.

Just a thought.
    Uh-Oh23 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Also looking for weight tips not just pilates for cardio. Thanks,
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Pilates isn't for cardio, its muscle toning and core strength training. Think "evil sadomasocistic twister"... as in hold a position, and squeeze... then small pumps of a muscle group with very controlled contractions and breathing. It's the devils work. But it works.

At first I found it a little long and tedious to learn, having to learn all these moves and positions, but the results kept me at it. The intro tape had my lower back aching next day. Meant I was hitting muscle groups I just wasn't getting to otherwise.

We have several Stott Pilates vids...

STOTT PILATES | At Home Video Series

Scroll down and look for the four dvd series that has

The secret to flat abs, firm and fit, core challenged, and strong and streamlined.

Might not be your thing, but its worth a try. She just bought the series for a buddy who's in the reserves and agrees that it's a good alternative strength training method.

I think she might have bought a set at walmart or sams club... not sure.

Also, you can find dvds like this at your local public library. Not a bad way to try out some different types of workouts without spending the dollars. Nice way to sample different things.

Arms... dumbbells are good for biceps and allow different angles for best training, but don't neglect the triceps as some do. It's a big muscle and I've always been pleased with the payout for working the triceps. I think it quickly makes your arm look bigger with less work, though you need the biceps work as well.

Quads are also muscles I've always thought quickly developed... again big muscle, shapes the leg with "easy" work.

One of the best resources I bought years ago was a bodybuilder book (golds gym I believe) for weight training. I'm no bodybuilder, but it clearly explained what excercises would give what effects, and gave good tips on how to maximize results. Basically, you have to really stress muscle to get it bigger, you have to let it rest as well, you have to change up the routine from time to time to keep it challenged, and you need to focus on form. So maybe a trip to the library is in order?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Little bumps on back of legs and arms? [ 8 Answers ]

I don't exactly know what these are... my mom said that it could be exema or something. I have read that people get rid of them in the summer, but mine never go away. I've had them for about 4 years, and I'm honestly sick of them. Please don't hesitate to help me. :)

How do I make my stomach smaller, and my legs bigger [ 2 Answers ]

I have a little gut, but small legs. I've began running and exercising, but I don't want my legs to get any smaller, bigger if possible

What are the workout plans offered by Citibank, Chase and Wells Fargo Credit Cards? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All, I am in severe financial crunch and would appreciate any pointers to get out of the situation. I have 4 credit cards - Citibank, Amex, Wells Fargo and Advanta with outstandings of approx $1500, $1000, $3000 and $500. I am current on all of these accounts as of now. I used to run a...

Numbness in arms and legs [ 1 Answers ]

What causes numbness in the arms and legs?

Muscle spasms in legs and arms [ 4 Answers ]

Both my legs and arms (mostly my left arm and right leg) have muscle spasms where it causes the skin that is close to the bone or just the skin to feel tight and it feels as if the muscles are ripping or contracting. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? Edit: you can move this to the...

View more questions Search