Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gibsonlp7482 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Shelf height
    What's the ideal height to attach a single shelf to the wall?
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 22, 2008, 06:22 PM
    What height would you like it at?

Seriously, it depends on the application and location.

Thanks,
    Json
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 22, 2008, 08:06 PM
    I, waiting for someone to say... well code for a shelf is... lol.. however standard for a cabnit would be 54 to 55" off the floor. This would be convient as a height to start with. I will say it does depend on what your going to use it for. If you plan to put things on the shelve your not going to use a lot or need then install it higher so its more out of the way
    Decorate Now Patterns Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Depends on how tall you are and where the furniture is located in the room and how high your ceilings are. If the shelf will be on a wall where someone might lean and hit their head on it, then it is too low. If it is behind some furniture, then the shelf can be placed lower. If you are putting items on the shelf that you don't want people to pick up, then put the shelf up higher.

To optimally display items (where bumping the shelf isn't an issue), then put it at approximately eye-level or slightly above eye level. Where eye-level falls depends on how tall people are in your house...

To help you decide, cut out a newpaper template of your shelf. Then tape your template to your wall and stand at the opposite corner of the room. Move your template up and down until it looks 'right'... and then that is your optimal location for your shelf. The correct height is the one that looks 'right' for the shelf size in combination with the room size and shelf purpose. And the easiest way to determine that is with the paper template taped to the wall. (Or a willing person to hold up the shelf very still for minutes at a time. But those are usually hard to find.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shelf life of vitamins [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bunch of vitamins that have no expiration date on the bottle. How long do vitamins generally last? I'm not sure if I should throw these away.

Shelf life [ 1 Answers ]

What is the shelf life of Hydrogen Peroxide 20 Volume?

Re-painting a shelf [ 2 Answers ]

I have a wood shelf that I would like to re-paint, but I am not sure exactly how to go about it. I was planning to sand it first (there are several layers of paint on it right now)- is there a certain grade of sand paper I should be using (I think the shelf is pine- if that makes a difference)? ...

Safe storing cheeze on the shelf? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it necessary for cheese to be refridgerated? Or is it okay for it to be shelfed?

Shelf life of vitamins [ 1 Answers ]

What is the "shelf life" of vitamin E, also of "Omega-3" capsules? Is it, can it be useful or harmful to take same after expiry date of one year or more? Many thanks !

View more questions Search