Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CreativeSpark Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Need Software for Auto Run Install
    Hello All,
    I need a free software to create an AutoInstall when a CD is placed in PC. Does anyone know of any good ones. Thanks for you help! Sparky
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 22, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Hey Sparky,

I'll be glad to assist once you have answered whether you are representing a business venture looking for open architecture code for inclusion in copyrighted code as your work effort. Or are you just looking for a way to do something?

I'm going to see if I can move this question to the Programming Board simply because this is not a typical beginner's question. You know it, I know it and probably just about everyone on this board knows it. No one here one to get sucked into a copyright infringement suite just to prove they can.

Freeware code, which is what you are referring to may have no dollar cost to it, but that does not mean it is not protected bu intellectual property laws.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Actually, if you have the install routine on the CD this is very easy and free. What enables a CD to run a program on a CD is the autorun.inf file. This article:
    HOW TO: Create an Autorun CD-ROM for Applications That You Create by Using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    Has info on how to use an autorun.inf which is just a text file.

However, if you are looking to create a whole installation routine, that includes creating folders, allocating files to folders, making Registry changes, etc. You won't find anything freeware. Such programs tend to be expensive.

Jan 27, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Hello Don and Scott,
    Thank you for your replies. I am not looking for anything fancy here and I am not a programmer, nor offering a program or programming to anyone. I am a "Beginner" looking to have someone being able to put a disc in the CD drive and it automatically install a Webpage that has links on it... A Manual. A folder will contain PDF files for them to access. I do not even understand all of your question, Don. I was not aware that this was not a beginners question... please forgive the confusion. If the question needs to be moved, please do so.
    Scott, there is a free program that does what I want called CreateInstall Free. It is a little bit difficult for the beginner, though, but possible. I just thought maybe someone knew of some program that may be a little more easy. I thank you for your suggestion and will look into it tomorrow. Thanks for your time and concideration. Sparky

Jan 27, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Oh, and Don, I'm also not looking to "Infringe" or steal anybodies programs, programming, writtings, clipart or graphics. I have my own, thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 07:01 AM
    You can do what you want using the article I linked to and a ZIP utility. Just zip all the files you want to install into a zip file and set the autorun.inf file to run that zip file. Or you can use a batch file, the problem there would be knowing what drive letters to use.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 01:47 PM
    The reason I've been concerned is that there is a "Creative Spark" corp and it does use "Sparky" as a handle.

I think it is related to the "Video Professor" series. Unfortunately, I just have not had the time to did into it. I do apologize if you felt unjustly picked upon but , hey, I'm from da Bronx, NY

Jan 29, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Thanks for your speedy reply, Scott. I am working on this with a friend this after noon. I will let you know how it works and post a response to your post to me (IF that all makes sense).

Don, thank you for apoligizing, that was nice. I did feel unfairly picked on. It sort of stinks that someone else took my name once again. Every time I get on I like, someone else takes it, too. I've had this one for about nearly 4 years now, though and I'm not giving it up. I do like Video Professor and hope no one tries to take his video's. Take care, Sparky

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install software to Motorola Razr v3c [ 0 Answers ]

I have located software for my motorola v3c phone. Should I download the .jar file or the .jad file to my PC? What do I do with it then? i.e.. How do I install it to my phone?:confused:

Install a driver using vb software [ 2 Answers ]

Vbhelp. I want to install a driver using vb software i.e. I working a software in which first user select name of mobile company name than select model of instrument than istall driver which save d drive.

Install software [ 3 Answers ]

How can install me any software in my PC:confused:

Invalid drive E - when trying to install software from CD [ 2 Answers ]

I have tried to install software for my SPV phone and on another occasion my Ipod, and can't complete or begin the installations because it states invalid drive E. All installations are via CD rom which works fine as far as I can see. Any ideas...

Bad CD drive, need to install keyboard software. [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new keyboard with customizable hotkeys but gee whiz neither of my CD drives will open! Can I just copy the files from the cd (on another computer) to my flash drive and bring the flash drive to this computer and install the software that way? Thanks!

View more questions Search