Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Who owns and operates this site
    I was just reading in the members discussions the post about free speech. I find it hilarious that people really have no idea of what "Free Speech" is. But that is not the point of this post. As I read further and further I came across ScottGems post who always gives good advice and he said this site is privately owned and operated and I started to wonder who does own and operate this site? Just wondering.
    catherinetodd Posts: 16, Reputation: 4
    -

Mar 10, 2008, 10:27 AM
    I have seen certain comments about “free speech” and was wondering the same thing. Who owns the site? Is there a registry of website owners where we can look this information up?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 10:44 AM
    admin is the top guy here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/members/admin.html
    -

Mar 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Thanks. Do you know if there's an internet registry where we can find contact information for this and other sites?

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Whois.net
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2008, 11:32 AM
    I'm curious as to why either of you want to know this information? Can you elaborate?
    -

Mar 10, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Thanks, NeedKarma, although I couldn't find any real contact / owner info for this site, just who it is registered with.

Registered through: Cheap-DomainRegistration.com
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 11:39 AM
    You'll get nowhere with them if you're planning to complain about something. They won't care, it's not their job. Jus' saying.

Mar 10, 2008, 11:46 AM
    You can try the whois function at WHOIS Search provides domain registration information from Network Solutions

I wouldn't say you'll get "nowhere" with a complaint, but they are unlikely to overturn any decisions made by the moderators. That's part of why they set up moderators in the first place.

As I've said before, this is a privately owned site. The rule on such sites is you play by my rules or you don't play at all. See the thread titles Suspended in Member Discussions. This is not atypical of sites like this. There are very few discussion or Q&A sites that are run by public entitites. The vast majority are privately owned. I've heard of people being banned from a site just because the owner didn't like what they had to say.

Everyone needs to remember that.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Yikes, I hope I haven't ticked off any of the higher ups.

Mar 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Now what could a cute little bunny do to tick off people? :D
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Scott - Apparently it's easier than I thought. I wish people wouldn't get mad at the bunny, but at times I do manage to stick my foot deep into the poo. Maybe I should buy some rubber boots.:p
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I wouldn't say you'll get "nowhere" with a complaint
    I was referring to complaining to Cheap-DomainRegistration.com, guess I didn't make that clear sorry. I pretty sure a domain registrar doesn't give two poops about a little discussion board tif. :)

Mar 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Those rabbit's feet are unlucky? Even when still attached to the rabbit?

Always wondered why people think rabbit's feet are lucky charms, sure didn't provide good luck to the rabbit they were attached to!!

Mar 10, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I was referring to complaining to Cheap-DomainRegistration.com, guess I didn't make that clear sorry. I pretty sure a domain registrar doesn't give two poops about a little discussion board tif. :)
    Ahhh yes this is true. They would probably circular file it, not even forward it the actual site owner.
    -

Mar 10, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg

Amen - LOL! Thanks for a big smile today! I'm still "just curious" like the person (spitvenom) who posted this question.:)
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm curious as to why either of you want to know this information? Can you elaborate?
    I most definitley do not have a complaint or anything like I think this site is cool. I just like to know who owns what and who is watching us.

It was a while ago when I asked this and I believe I asked because A post I made about both Scientology and Christianity got deleted. It was a post asking what Scientology was all about and I said what I learned about Scientology and said if you think about it their story isn't any crazier then the story of Christianity and that post got deleted. So in my crazy mind this site must be owned the Church Scientology or the Catholic Church.

Mar 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catherinetodd
    Amen - LOL!! Thanks for a big smile today! I'm still "just curious" like the person (spitvenom) who posted this question.:)
    At one point in time, during the late 90s, there was a similar site called AskMe.com. AskMe was setup by some former Redmondians who developed the software to sell to corporations for knowledge management. They setup a public Q&A site as a demonstration of their software. The public site was wildly successful. Much beyond their expectations. At the time there really wasn't very much like it. There were some focused sites, but nothing really as broad. But once the people behind it didn't need the public site for demo purposes anymore, they decided to shut it down.

When that happened the people who had enjoyed using AskMe were left with a void to fill. Other sites that had cropped up to try an compete stepped in like AllExperts and Wondir. Other new sites like here and Answerway opened up to take up the slack. In fact, this site capitalized on the AskMe name and used a home page copied from AskMe to try and grab the AskMe orphans. For various reasons this site has risen to the top of the genre. One of those reasons is a dedicated and conscientious group of moderators who care about the rules setup for use of this site (ouch! Patting oneself on the back hurts ;) ) . Another is an equally dedicated and conscientious group of people who supply help to those in need.

I suspect that the operators of this site spend enough time and money on maintaining the site, that they don't want their privacy invaded.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom
    So in my crazy mind this site must be owned the Church Scientology or the Catholic Church.
    CoS sues everyone and everything in sight should it find anything negative about it. It's scary.
    -

Mar 10, 2008, 12:26 PM
    spitvenom, I don't think you are "crazy" at all. I think you posted a very important question. I have had many people ask me the same thing.

NeedKarma... I didn't know CoS sues over anything negative. I've seen people become extremely abusive when they read anything negative or even "not in 100% agreement" with themselves, and resort to extremely domineering behavior, but I had no idea that some people / organizations would go as far as "actually suing." It is scary to be assaulted verbally or physically or legally just because you have a difference of opinion. These kind of people - or organizations - are definitely "Little Hitlers" waiting in the wings...

I'd still like to know who the owner of this site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who owns ! [ 4 Answers ]

How fast can a home sell if the owner falls behind on a few morage payments? And can I still be living in the home that they sold, if its not mine anymore?

Ceiling fan doesn't operates by pull chain only, not wall switch. [ 9 Answers ]

If a ceiling light is controlled by a wall switch, along with one wall outlet on the same wall as the switch, what would cause the switch to become inactive after a hampton bay ceiling fan is installed in place of the ceiling light? The ceiling box has only black, white and ground wire, and the...

NEW Harbor Breeze fan only operates in high speed [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan with light kit, remote and no pull chains. I have installed numerous ceiling fans before without any previous problems. This fan in question operated A-OK for the first day or two. Now, the fan only operates in high speed, no matter...

How can I randomise images in a site to be linked via html coding for another site? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am mesmerised. How do Flickr, mybloglog, Facebook and numerous other sites update their badges eberytime the information is updated? Someone told me it is done with js. I hava a wordpress.com blog, which means I am not allowed to use javascript there. So I have to link my images updated...

Transmitter operates fan in other room too [ 1 Answers ]

I just had a Veranda ceiling fan installed. This fan is in second floor bedroom. I have a fan in kitchen on first floor, opposite side of house. It has the same type of wall transmitter. Either wall transmitter operates both fans. If I turn on fan and/or light in bedroom, it will turn it on in...

View more questions Search