Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephanie hornbuckle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 10:37 AM
    HIPAA Violations
    Should all complaints regarding HIPAA violations be in writing?

If you write a patients name on a whiteboard ,is that a HIPAA violation?

How should you respond to a caller requesting information about a patient that does not want information released?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
    For the caller requesting information you can state the patient confidentiality stuff.
    What some do is call back at another time and get another person that does answer though.

You could also ask them for their name and number and tell them you will pass the information on to the patient if that is possible.
    One more thing is it is good to ask the patient for a list of people they ARE willing to let know their information
    As well as possibly a list of who they absolutely do not want to have any information.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 22, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie hornbuckle
    Should all complaints regarding HIPAA violations be in writing?
    Yes.

If you write a patients name on a whiteboard ,is that a HIPAA violation?
    Where is the whiteboard located? Where visitors can see it? In the hospital room? Is this a medical facility or a mental health facility. Each has different laws.

How should you respond to a caller requesting information about a patient that does not want information released?
    You simply ask the callers name and if the caller has the "password" (usually birthdate of the patient). If not, you simply state that the information is private information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violations [ 15 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of the...

Hippa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question that no one may be able to answer, but I would like some feed back from some of you. My local hospital has recently fired and/or suspended several employee for looking up their own medical records, claiming it is a HIPPA violation. I am very confused about this because how is it...

HIPPA violations [ 2 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of...

Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The owner/boss of the company I was working for asked me question concering my doctors appointment. She got angry and basically demanded me to tell whether it was for medical research because she had heard it through the grapevine. I lied and told her it was not for that. She demanded me to tell...

View more questions Search