Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msshanika07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 08:55 AM
    I did my time now I need a job!
    Is there any job out there for an ex con who do not have his ged... however works very well with his hands and has experence with home improvement...
    Tony J Posts: 90, Reputation: 4

Jan 22, 2008, 09:01 AM
    There are plenty of ex-con's out there working in the building trades. 1st step apply for the jobs. Remember to be honest when asked about convictions.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Jan 22, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Hey bud,

I'm sure there are a lot of jobs out there for you in that field. Being able to work with your hands opens up a lot of options for you. Carpentry, construction, etc.

Try to diminish the thought of going for a job and worrying about your conviction. I have many clients who are in the same position, ex-cons who need jobs but don't know where to start because of their conviction.

What I have noticed is that if you concentrate on you NOW you stand a much better chance at landing the job you want. For instance, you can goback to school for a couple of courses and let your employer or potential employer know this. Bring some type of documentation to the interview that would mitigate the criminal charge should it ever arise in conversation. Most employers look favourably to someone who is trying to get their life back on track and may give you a "second" chance.

That's been my experience with it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Hello mss:

Sure there are. Exconvicts are working all over the place. Yeah, it's harder for an excon to find work... Ok, so if a citizen has to go to 5 interviews before he gets hired, an exconvict might have to go on 20...

Plus, it's my experience that most employers aren't social agencies. IF the exconvict comes to interview looking for a "break", he's not going to get work. However, if he shows up telling the employer that he CAN fill the employer's needs, and by the way, he's an exconvict, he's got a much better chance at finding work.

excon
    Leilani718 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by msshanika07
    is there any job out there for an ex con who do not have his ged...however works very well with his hands and has experence with home improvement.....
    Oh Yes, The govt has no problem in letting Felons get jobs. Just apply and be honest with your application. It all matters.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 08:27 PM
    You will not be able to get any city, county, state, or federal job though due to the conviction. You WILL be able to get any kind of job in private business. Just try not to mention your "last employer" to your new co-workers. Keep your nose clean and you'll be okay. Good luck to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 08:37 PM
    What you do need to consider is getting your GED, that will hurt you more than the prison time, many places will be requiring that
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Get your GED, and you will find oppurtunities in your area.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 04:43 PM
    J-9 I was just trying to help him not waste his time with a govt job.

Yes, I know some private businesses are barred from hiring felons, but I'm sure he would have more sense than to go into a gun shop and apply for a job (at least I'm hoping he has more sense than that) or try and be a bank teller.
    Nagoosh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 02:33 PM
    For the most part I get shut down as soon as they ask. The other day I called about a job the first 3 questions were: Name, phone number and just letting you know we do a criminal background investigation, have you ever been convicted of a felony!
    The answer was yes. They said thanks for calling, they didn't even get enough info to do a check and for that matter never called me back. I called them back a few days later and spoke to another person and she apoligized and said the info I gave her would be put on the HR's desk. Needless to say I never got a call back. This was pretty much the case with Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, Dollar General ETC... Not even a chance at an interview to explain the situation and that it was 17yrs ago!! SO I guess I'm destine to work in a motel or a crappy restaurant cleaning bathrooms or go back to a life of crime. That's not going to happen! But I have thought that at my age the chances are slim to none to get a decent job at this point so why not go to the post office, get $100 worth of stamps, step outside and wait for the cops and send me back to prison (fed). That's not going to happen either but I have thought it.
    Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are success stories out there and I know I might sound a little negative and bitter... OK just a little but if this was just affecting me that would be one thing but it's not.
    Nagoosh
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 03:22 PM
    What state, or better, city are you in?
    Nagoosh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 02:46 PM
    South Florida, fort Lauderdale
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Google, faith based jobs in, south Florida for ex-cons, and jobs for ex-cons in south Florida.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, So basically the story goes like this: In April of 2006, I was arrested for theft under $5000 for car prowling in a neighborhood and some alleyways. I was 17 at the time. We got caught with $1500 worth of golf clubs in the back of my dads car. Needless to say, my dad was pissed....

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Will husband just get time served or added time to probation [ 11 Answers ]

My husband's not being extradicted on probation violation. But will they add more time to his probation, or get time served or more jail time for new misdemeanor charges of canabis and pharapharnalia? So lost any info or some similar experience would be helpful thanks can't sleep until I know until...

Live in NY, work 1/2 time in NY and 1/2 time in NJ.confused! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Thanks, in advance, for helping! I just moved. I now live in ny, but my office is in nj. I work from my ny home 1/2 times and spend the other 1/2 time in nj. Questions: 1. what state taxes will I pay? I suspect nj AND ny. Ny has a form for 'non-resident who performs services...

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Smokes fom Time to Time [ 9 Answers ]

This engine apprears to start and run fine. However, from time to time it will smoke like a freight train then clear up and be find. This may occur several times in a two hour period. Any sujections on what may be the cause? Thanks for your Help!

View more questions Search