Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charu11 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 02:10 PM
    L-1 Visa Tax form
    Hello All

I am from India and I recently started working for a company on L-1( Intra company exchange visa). My date of joining was 13th December, and my L-1 got approved on 5th December 2005.

I am not sure which form should I file, or Should I even file taxes as I have received only one pay check for the period.

Thanks for the help

Charu
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Charu:

Was any income tax withheld? If not, then you do not have to file, as your income is well below the amount of your personal exemption ($3,200).

If money was withheld, you want to file to get that money back (unless the amount is so small as to not be worth the effort; your choice).

Based on your input below, it appears that intend to eventually return to India. That being the case, you should file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ as a non-resident alien, at least for 2005. You can re-evaluate your situation this time next year to determine which way to file then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Box 16 of form W-2 [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I had one doubt before I call for clarification about it to my HR. The problem is in my w2 form box 16 which should contain income earned from NY state but it shows my total income i.e. it also includes the income which I earned in the state of Texas. If I am not wrong Box 16 should only...

F1 visa student - self employment- 1099 tax form [ 13 Answers ]

I am a phd international student in Houston Texas. I am a citizen of Tunisia. I joined the program in fall 2005 and I am on campus employee. I am starting my second year now. I am filling W2 form for tax. I have an opportunity to gain extra income as self employed or independent contractor from...

Which tax form to use? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help with an unusual situation that I am in: I just got married 2 months ago to someone who had just acquired an ITIN. My spouse is from Mexico, and we live in Ohio. 1) Which tax form would I use, the 1040 or the 1040EZ? (I make little money, as I am a...

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

What Tax Form I should use [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India. I was on OPT for first 3 months then turned to H1B for the rest of the year. I worked for the same company so I have only one W2 form. I also have some stock in my company that I purchased. I also donated some amount for which I can claim tax exemption. Last year I went...

View more questions Search