Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katieee_8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 04:06 AM
    Maximising shareholder wealth
    Hi!! I've just been given this essay question, and a little bit stuck on it! Just woondering if there were some pointers anyone fancies giving?? I know, I bet you can't think of anything more thrilling- neither can I!

The assumerd objective for finance when studying this module is: 'the company should make investment and financing decisions with the aim of maximising long term shareholder wealth'. if we accept this as the objective of the firm, explain how finance managers can, in practice, contribute to this aim and evaluate the means and methods that they might adopt.

:) thanks!!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 04:35 AM
    I wish I had other people to do my homework when I was in school.
    katieee_8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 06:36 AM
    I wouldn't call it doing my homework, more research on what people have to say, the internet seems the most quick research these days, so I thought I'd try one of these question sites to find more research... :) thanksx
    cjdkc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katieee_8 View Post
    hi!!! i've just been given this essay question, and a little bit stuck on it! just woondering if there were some pointers anyone fancies giving?!?! i know, i bet you can't think of anything more thrilling- neither can i!

The assumerd objective for finance when studying this module is: 'the company should make investment and financing decisions with the aim of maximising long term shareholder wealth'. if we accept this as the objective of the firm, explain how finance managers can, in practice, contribute to this aim and evaluate the means and methods that they might adopt.

:) thanks!!!!
    Hi Katiee_8 . I have recently been given the same essay question and would like to know if you got around yours and how. Thank you.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by katieee_8 View Post
    i wouldnt call it doing my homework, more research on what people have to say, the internet seems the quickest research these days, so i thought i'd try one of these question sites to find more research.... :) thanksx
    "Research" means going out and trying to find some information concerning the question, not just having someone else answer it for you. Just asking someone else isn't "research." We didn't used to have sites like this - we had to research it ourselves. I agree with karma.

Try to research and put some of your OWN thoughts together first, and then perhaps people here can comment on it or add some thoughts to it.
    denzil87 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 04:57 PM

The concept of maximising shareholders wealth is a broad term and you will need to draw upon different concepts of corporate finance here. One way of maximising shareholders wealth is through the capital structure. There have been theories most notably by MM that there is an optimal capital structure. It should be noted the more debt a company takes on the cheaper is becomes because banks require a less rate of return then shareholders. Yet the more debt taken on the risk increases because higher interest is paid, and shareholders may not get a return because interest must be paid before dividends. So I would look at capital structure.

Another way, in theory, shareholders wealth can be maximised is the dividend policy adopted. If a company chooses to not pay a dividend out and use all the retained funds to fund positive NPV projects then shareholders wealth may increase through capital gains when the share price increases. So look at dividend policy aswel.
    michaelmakinde Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2009, 04:25 AM

Please can you justify and criticise the assumption made in corporate finance that the objective of company is to maximize shareholders wealth
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmakinde View Post
    please can you justify and criticise the assumption made in corporate finance that the objective of company is to maximize shareholders wealth
    Why don't you just read the post above yours?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 09:53 PM

And if you have further questions, start your own thread. At least this time I caught the date before spending the time reading the whole thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shareholder wealth [ 1 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to go through merger & acquisition in these days considering the global credit cruch? How would this affect the shareholder wealth?

Stategic Planning Shareholder Wealth [ 1 Answers ]

The importance of strategic planning in maximizing shareholder wealth.

Getting married, living in communal wealth state and non communcal wealth state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I am getting married in December. I will have been a California resident for 5 months of this year and New Jersey for 7 months. My partner has been in NJ the whole year. He has made significantly more money than me this year, and we are hoping to file a...

Managerial Criticisms for Profit Maximising Firm [ 1 Answers ]

What is the managerial criticisms of the profit maximising firm? :eek:

Shareholder wealth as the main objective of the firm [ 1 Answers ]

A firm can choose from an infinitely long list of possible objectives.some of these will appear noble and easly justified,other remain hidden,implicit,embarrassing,even subconscious.Discuss the rationale for selecting shareholder wealth as the main objective of the firm

View more questions Search