Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrahrens22 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 08:52 PM
    2 subwoofers-mono amplifier
    How do you wire two subs to a mono amplifier, do you just take 4 wires, 2 positives and 2 negitives from the amp to two subs instead of just taking one + and one - to one sub? Or do you wire the subs together some how?? Thanks for taking your time to read this and if you could help it would be greatly appreciated...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Well, how is one thing. Whether the amp can handle it is something else.

Choice 1 (Parallel) (+A)(+B) --> Amp+, (-A)(-B )----> Amp -
    Z(ohms) = (Z(A)+Z(B))/2 if Z(A) = Z(B) which it should
    e.g. Two 8 ohm speakers wired this way behaves as a 4 ohm speaker

Choice 2 (Series) (+A) ---> (Amp+); (-A)----> (+B); (-B) ----> (Amp-)
    Z(ohms) = Z(A) + Z(B) for all cases
    e.g. Two 4 ohm speakers wired in this was behaves as an 8 ohm speaker

Your amp must be able to drive lower or equal to Z(ohms). Wire in such a way that your amp is happy.

If your amp said 100 W into 2 ohms and you had two 4 ohm speakers, then the parallel combination would be selected. A series connection would not be as loud, but would be OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rockford or diamond subwoofers [ 1 Answers ]

How do you wire two subs to a mono amplifier, do you just take 4 wires, 2 positives and 2 negitives from the amp to two subs instead of just taking one + and one - to one sub? Or do you wire the subs together some how?? Thanks for taking your time to read this and if you could help it would be...

Subwoofers ohms [ 36 Answers ]

I have a 2400 watt amp with 4 ohms and I'm going to get two subwoofers I was wondering how many ohms I need in each subwoofer

Amplifier [ 1 Answers ]

You know, I am a beginners when it comes to construction of Audio amplifiers. I would like to know Sir if it is possible, in order to attain a 200 watts or even 300 watts amplifier output, I will only interconnect The output of 1 amplifier (100 watts) to the input of another amplifier (100 watts...

View more questions Search