Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    family account Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Setting up an estate account
    :confused: My wife and I received an Estate check after her mother died; that just happens to be made out to her mothers estate. Was wondering about opening an account or depositing the check? Her mother did not leave a will...
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2008, 05:23 AM
    All of the mother's property (cars, boats, furniture, home, bank accounts), depending on how it is titled, goes into her estate. Her heirs are her children. Your wife will need to find out the value of the estate. Whether your wife needs to file to administer the estate depends upon the law of the state her mother resided in.
    ZENILRAM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 06:07 PM
    I need to know how to set up an estate account for my dad who passed away. I am the executor of his trust.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
    You get a EIN number ( check out IRS web site) for the estate. You take this and proof that you are the executor of the estate to the bank, and open the bank account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate Account [ 2 Answers ]

My wife passed away over a year ago, and I have been negotiating with Mary Kay to have the value of my wife's Mary Kay assets returned to me. Unfortunately, they made out the check to "The Estate of" my wife. I have been advised that I need to open an Estate Account. Is this the only avenue to...

Estate Account [ 1 Answers ]

My sister passed away a few months ago and my father is trying to pay her bills, but the bank did not honor the check written on the account to pay for her residential care. My sister was mentally retarded and a ward of the state of ca, where she lived. She received social security funds and...

Estate Account [ 5 Answers ]

My mother recently passed away leaving several insurance polices, all but one named myself as the beneficiary the other named my father who passed away 8 years ago no one else was named as a second beneficiary just as children myself and brother. She left a will and named myself as sole beneficiary...

Estate account [ 3 Answers ]

I am the sole heir to my mother's estate;opened an estate acct. My question is what do I do with the money in that acct? Can I use it to pays bills such as home owners insurance,etc.

View more questions Search