Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrrdrage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Billed unfairly?
    I rent a house and am resposible for my own fuel costs. 2 months ago a fuel company filled my tank without me even calling or opening an account. The rate they charged me was 20 cents cheaper per gallon than any other company. I paid the bill and asked for the tank to be topped off again. A new bill arrived the next morning with 22 cents added per gallon. When I called to find out why the price had increased so much I was explained the following by a very rude and unwaivering office manager; The first bill was a mistake and I was charged the bulk customer rate and if I like they could bill me again for the correct price.(after I've already paid) Didn't this company have an obligation to inform me that there was a mistake and they were changing my rate before they refilled my tank and billed me? I still have no account with them. What are my legal rights?
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jan 10, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Okay you said a fuel company just comes up to your house and filled your tank without you even asking or opening an account? And they charged you for it? I don't believe they should have charged you in the first place. You did not ask for them. I think they saw it as doing you a favor but still that's not right. You should be weary of any company that does something like this. They act like they did you a big favor and then rip you off. Unfortuantly I don't think that's the only company that does things like that. I would have gone to a higher up like the owner and had the ones who did it paying out of their paychecks and the rude manager out of a job. You may want to talk to the owner and if you get no where with him then get an attorney. Make sure you have something showing what you have paid them.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 12:08 PM
    Bill Error
    If you have already paid the bill and they are now claiming a error was make, and if they accepted your payment, than that bill is paid in full. Simply refuse the new billing. They are trying to re-contract with you. Return it to them, "Refused for cause, no liability assumed."

Just a thought, not legal advice
    mh34 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 04:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrdrage
    I rent a house and am resposible for my own fuel costs. 2 months ago a fuel company filled my tank without me even calling or opening an account. The rate they charged me was 20 cents cheaper per gallon than any other company. I paid the bill and asked for the tank to be topped off again. A new bill arrived the next morning with 22 cents added per gallon. When I called to find out why the price had increased so much I was explained the following by a very rude and unwaivering office manager; The first bill was a mistake and I was charged the bulk customer rate and if I like they could bill me again for the correct price.(after I,ve already paid) Didn't this company have an obligation to inform me that there was a mistake and they were changing my rate before they refilled my tank and billed me? I still have no account with them. What are my legal rights?
    You know what probably happened? Your renting a house, and normally all utilities except for phone and cable bills are left up to the landlord. Usually, when you rent a place its your responsibility to call the utility companies to the bills in your name. If the bill is not in your name, its in your landlords name and your not repsonsible to pay it. You should contact your landlord, and work something out. Why would you pay a bill that wasn't in your name and not even contact your landlord about it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double-Billed [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My wife recently went in for a physical exam. They found her blood-pressure was a bit high so the doctor advised her to cut back on salt and get exercise. I just got the bill and found that they billed extra. I called the doctor's office and was told that the doctor billed for an...

View more questions Search