Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    e_s Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Waiting for Trial in Manitoba?
    My husband was charged with possession, trafficking and intent to sell in Feb of 2005. As well, my sister's boyfriend was charged as well, but was never really involved (was just driving him around that day). Their lawyer has been great so far... I think, by getting the trial/hearing pushed back this long. Since then, he's held on to a steady job, we've gotten married, and are expecting our first child (my sister's boyfriend has been good too). So needless to say the he's lived and learned.

My question(s);
    Is there a certain amount of time that can pass when they can finally say OK - he's been good and drop the charges? OR lessen the sentence to house arrest/community service? We've asked our lawyer, but he's been very vague with answers to our questions. What are the possibilities at this point?
    Pandoras_Pain Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2008, 08:07 PM
    I would think that if you have a question and ask your lawyer he should give you an answer see-ing that you are paying him to work for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 08:39 PM
    No, there is no amount of time that will even help. In fact most of the fact that he is livig a good life has no bearing on the trial, it can be used at sentencing to help give them a lessor sentence but will not effect the actual trail.

These are serious charges and you can expect him to stlil be away for a while unless he can work out an accepted deal with the DA ( crown)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by e_s
    Is there a certain amount of time that can pass when they can finally say ok - he's been good and drop the charges? OR lessen the sentence to house arrest/community service?
    Hello e:

No, they don't care how good he's been SINCE he was bad. Could it be used at sentencing to show that he's not as bad as the state says he is?? Yes.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rights to a speedy trial and can they keep your legally obtained money until the trial? [ 5 Answers ]

15 months ago the APD(Albany Police Department in Oregon) served a search warrant at our home. We had just gotten a settlement from a major motorcycle wreck my other half was in and had cash in our home. We have documents to prove we had just gotten this money 6 days prior to the search warrant....

SOL in Manitoba [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the SOL is for residents of Manitoba. What if collection agencies are in other provinces then which provinces SOL would apply? I have credit card, cell phone and unsecured bank loan.

Manitoba statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a statute in Manitoba in criminal matters? If so , how many years?

View more questions Search