Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeyradford Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 09:54 AM
    Wiring a ceiling fan
    Changing a existing fan with 2 switches one for light and one for fan. Ceiling wires are black, red ,white ,ground. New fan has black,white,ground.not sure how to wire it up.:confused:
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2006, 11:05 AM
    Black to black, white to white.
    Hit the switch;
    And hope it lights!

Seriously though...

Please make certain the power is off to the fan before attempting any work. That being said. White is your neutral to the fan so attach it to the white from your switch. The black and red both go to a switch, so either one will work attached to the black from the fan. I would, for logics sake, attach it to the black. And bond all grounds together and to the ground screw in the box.. The remaining wire (red) should have a wirenut twisted on it and be carefully stuffed into the box. This switch will no longer function, however leaving it in the box is fine.

I am assuming you are replacing a fan/light with just a fan. Correct?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Connect white to white, ground to ground, and either the black or red to the black and cap the other. A slightly cleaner installation would be to remove the one switch and the hot wire to it, and replace the switch plate with one that is blank on one side. In that case, you must use the wire connected to the switch that is left. Still a good idea to cap the unused wire at both ends.

Yeah, Borewyrm posted the same thing while I was working on my answer. Glad I finally found out how to make Edit work. Left click used to work. Tried right click and open in a new window.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Only reason I am able to answer today is a 300' spool of 350 mcm crushed my foot yesterday. Luckily I was wearing steel toed boots and the ground was so soft that it actually pushed my foot into the dirt. Got a nasty sprain though.

Normally by the time I even see a post it has several replies. And Labman is correct, it is cleaner to remove the switch. However it also involves opening up the neutral bundle and removing a pigtail from the hot bundle. If this is something you are comfortable with go for it.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 08:41 PM
    The problem with removing the switching and installing the black plate is, threadstarter never mentioned whether his new fan uses a wireless remote or a wall control!

Other than that, did the suggestions above work? They are what I would have advised.

If you need more info:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php
    reitemiller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 10:40 AM

Okay, I have a question. I have a ceiling fan with light, and a 2 switch wall switch. On the wall there is two wires going to the light switch which are red and black. The second switch (for the fan) has black and gray. I have hooked up the wiring to the ceiling fan (black to black, red to blue, white to white and ground to ground) according to the directions. Fan works perfectly! Turns on and off by the switch. However, the light switch no longer works. I have to use the pull switch to turn it off and on. I tried rewiring the ceiling fan, but that only caused the fan to be on continuously, so I went back to the way I had originally wired it. I know that the ceiling wiring is fine, but cannot figure out why the switch that once worked the light prior to adding a ceiling fan worked, and now it doesn't. Can someone please help me?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 19, 2009, 11:48 AM

Tell us what wires (house wires) are in the wall switch box and what wires are in the ceiling box. Is the switches two single regular wall switches or is it some kind of combination fan/light switch? The grey wire part is confusing me?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 07:27 PM

I second what Harold is asking.

Ceiling Fan Wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    revclyburn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 08:14 AM

I have a ceiling I just installed in my house. It has 4 wires: black, white, green and black/white. The wire from the house is: black, white and bare cooper ground. The power is attached to 2 switches, 1 controls the outside lights and the other al outlet. I hooked up the wires from the fan, black & black/white to black from wall, white to white from wall and green to ground from wall. It took me a while to figure it out because the other switch that controls the outlet also has the same combination of wires. But I attached them to the switch that controls the outdoor lights. Everything seems to be wired right except when I turn ion the fan, the lights on the fan are dim or dim and if the lights outside are on the flutter or blink. If I turn on the fan with the lights off, the fan w/lights works fine. What do I have hooked up wrong? What makes the lights do that, is it a bad connection? How can I fix this so everything is working properly?

Thanks Edwin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan wiring [ 10 Answers ]

I bought a new ceiling fan to replace an existing one. (the existing one worked, I just didn't like the way it looked). There's only 2 wires from the ceiling. The new ceiling fan has four wires: green, black, white, and one combo black/white. The light works as long as I connect the combo...

Wiring a ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

We are remodeling our bathroom and have installed a ceiling fan. We removed a double outlet socket and are replacing it with a combination switch/socket device. Outlet and switch. The incoming wires are the following: 1. Black, white, and ground from the fan. 2. Black, white, red, and ground...

Ceiling fan wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan, I think it’s make by Hunter. We had some ceiling painting done and the painters broke the fan reversing switch pull chain, and then they made matters worse by removing the switch without marking the wires. This fan's reverse switch has a pull chain, the first pull turns...

Ceiling Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

My new Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan w/lights says to connect the blue and black wires to the black wire and the white to the white. However, my ceiling junction box just has two white wires. I tried connecting the blue and black wires to one white wire and the white wire to the other white wire. The...

Ceiling fan wiring [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to install a ceiling fan in my room, there is a green wire coming out of the fan that is supposed to be connected to a ground, there is only two wires coming out of the box in the ceiling a white wire and a black wire, what do I need to do with the ground coming out of the fan?

View more questions Search