Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SarasotaBucc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Re-selling in a +55 community - If I bought under 55, can I sell to a buyer under 55?
    Say I purchases a house in a +55 community, but am under 55 years old. This is because there is a law saying that at least 20% of those who purchase in such a community CAN be under 55. I believe this is so that they cannot be accused for age discrimination.

So, upon re-selling my home. Could I sell it to whomever I wanted to? Would the purchaser have to be +55, or because I have the deed and am under 55, could I likewise, resell it to someone who is under 55 years old?

It would make sense to me, I could sell it to anyone (including under 55) because it would be upholding the same 20%. Is this true?

In addition, could I market the home by saying that this is one of very few homes actively listed in this +55 community -- but the purchaser does NOT have to be 55? Thoughts? :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 06:44 PM
    The rules of advertising real estate is very controlled. So you need to actually verify with the HOA of he community as to your states specific rules. The issue could be if they lets say are now over 20 percent, and in that case you may be restricted. I would say I would use a real esate agent and let them handle all of the advertising.
    SarasotaBucc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 11:37 AM
    So... Ask a realtor?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaBucc
    there is a law saying that at least 20% of those who purchase in such a community CAN be under 55.
    There are two things about the law you cite. First, whether it applies only to initial purchasers not resales. Second, your emphasis on the word CAN. CAN is different then must. Sales in such a community might be subject to approval by an HOA so you need to check with them first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling your home when co-signer is not able to be found or is not willing to sell. [ 2 Answers ]

My mother and my step-father recently refinanced on the home. Both of their names are on the deed. At one time my step-father was living in the household. Now he is not and has not lived here for 2 years. He is not contributing financially to the mortgage at all. Now that the interest rate has...

Tax implications of selling multi apartment building bought over 50 yrs ago [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Is there any way to minimize the tax burden attached to selling a multi apartment building with commercial space on the ground floor in a high value area of New Jersey? I'm wondering if my parents sold their own home and moved into one of the units if that would help any. We're...

Quiet Title - Bought House From Illegal In foreclosure who now claims he didn't sell [ 1 Answers ]

In March of 2002 I was contacted by a guy who was going through his (5th) fifth foreclosure in (7) seven years. He was days away from the foreclosure sale. He asked if I wanted to buy his house; a “fixer”. (I had made an offer the previous year but was unable to come up with financing.) I paid...

Buyer Selling a home they have on Land Contract [ 4 Answers ]

I have a land Contract on the home we live in now. We are getting a new home. I have been told to sale the house we live in now. Pay off the Land Contract and keep the profit. Can you do this? How? Thanks

First time buyer [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what good brands of microwaves there are. I don't want to purchase one and then have it break on me a few months later.

View more questions Search