Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    courtney7j Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2004, 03:10 AM
    Problems finding bulb for lamp from UK
    My friend just sent me a couple lamps from her trip to England. The problem is, I can't find light bulbs to fit them anywhere. I tried Lowe's and no luck. I don't even know how to go about searching to find out what they are even called. Rather than screwing in, the lamp has 2 prongs that stick up from the socket. The light bulb 'plugs' into these prongs and then it twists to lock in place. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I don't have to haul them to a lighting store. Any suggestions on where to buy them, what they're called, or maybe a site that explains the different kinds to a young girl who knows NOTHING about lighting (obviously) thanks guys ;-)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2004, 07:21 AM
    Re: Problems finding bulb for lamp from UK
    My friend just sent me a couple lamps from her trip to England. The problem is, I can't find light bulbs to fit them anywhere. I tried Lowe's and no luck. I don't even know how to go about searching to find out what they are even called. Rather than screwing in, the lamp has 2 prongs that stick up from the socket. The light bulb 'plugs' into these prongs and then it twists to lock in place. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I don't have to haul them to a lighting store. Any suggestions on where to buy them, what they're called, or maybe a site that explains the different kinds to a young girl who knows NOTHING about lighting (obviously) thanks guys  ;-)
    Do the lamps have ordinary plugs on the cords? England and most European countries use 220V 50 cycle current. Their plugs have round pins rather than the flat ones we use. If you have the round pins, you need an adapter that may be hard to find. If the lamps have ordinary plugs on the cords, they may be export models only needing the right bulbs.

As for the bulbs, try constructing an internet search that will take you to UK sites for bulbs. If you can identify it, then you can try to find a supplier here.
    courtney7j Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2004, 03:17 AM
    Thanks for the reply. The plugs do have the round pins but I have adapters for them. Still no luck finding bulbs though, I guess I'll be off to the lighting store. Thanks though for taking the time to reply. :)
    AKABoB Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Jul 9, 2004, 09:02 PM
    You might want to check TopBulb.com.. . They deal with a lot of special bulb types.

The Man - AKABoB
    truss Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2004, 04:14 PM
    Sounds like they are a "DC" type base. If you still haven't found the bulbs try a store in New York NY called Just Bulbs. I'm in the lighting business, I refer people to them quite offten.
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Oct 16, 2004, 04:44 PM
    They are called "bayonet fitting" bulbs.
    This may help you to search for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Wall Lamp [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed two new Hampton Wall Lamps, replacing my outdoor gargage lights. My problem is that I reconnected white to white, black to black, and ground to ground in the same manner as the units replaced. When I turned the power back on, no lights? I tried grounding two different ways, wire to...

Gas lamp post [ 3 Answers ]

How much does a gas lamp post cost per year? Would I be better off switching to an electric post that is 300 watts with a photosensor? Thank you, Don

Looking for a certain MR16 bulb [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! We just purchased 3 Hampton Bay pendant lights from Home Depot. The lights are shaped like bullets and have tiny holes for light effects near the edge. The MR16 bulbs provided are great--they have no reflective covering on the outside of the bulb, which allows light to emit from the...

How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? [ 5 Answers ]

Golden Retriever The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb? Border Collie Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code. Dachshund You know I can't reach that stupid lamp! ...

Problems finding a folder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently did a virus scan at one of those free sites (trend micro), and the scan found some troj virus's. The virus's found were: Troj sisie.c Troj strt page.l Troj starter.B They are suppose be in a folder called:...

View more questions Search