Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Just a thought
    Do you think an active volcano under Antarctica would cause the ice to melt ? :confused:

Volcano under the Antarctic

21/01/2008

Scientists have discovered a huge active volcano under Antarctica.
    The volcano in the West Antarctic ice sheet last erupted 2,000 years ago but nay still be helping to melt the ice sheet and speed up sea level rises.
    Radar used by the British Antarctic Survey has revealed a layer of ash produced by the volcano, which extends across an area bigger than Wales.
    Hugh Corr, author of a report on the volcano, said its previous eruption was the biggest in Antarctica for 10,000 years.

He said: "It blew a substantial hole in the ice sheet and generated a plume of ash and gas that rose 10km into the air."
    The BAS team says data from the volcano will help it predict future rises in sea-levels caused by melting ice.
    Volcano under the Antarctic - Mirror.co.uk
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Tom, as usual that depends on who you ask. Philip Kyle of the New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology says no.

BAS professor David Vaughan says "it may be possible that heat from the volcano has caused some of that acceleration," but "stresses though that global warming is by far the greater likelier cause."

He adds, the retreating ice "most probably has its origin in warming ocean waters," but makes no mention of whether active undersea volcanoes could be warming the water.

But hey, did you hear that besides the first snowfall in Baghdad in 100 years, kids in northern Saudi Arabia have been having fun "making snowballs and building snowmen with enthusiasm" during their coldest winter in 20 years? No?
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Joseph D'Aleo of ICECAP.us states:

Most of the warming and melt in recent years has been in the vicinity of the Antarctic Peninsula, a small portion of the Antarctic which reaches above the Antarctic Circle and is a choke-point for the circumpolar ocean currents, and is more susceptible to variations. There’s also an active subsea volcano in the area, perhaps leading to the warm water upwelling in the study.
    He also states "Ice extent remains well (one million square kilometers) above the 28 year average and an impressive 3 million square kilometers above last year at this time!"

NASA scientist Eric Rignot reports increased melting in "western Antarctica, an area where surface temperatures have remained unchanged." Since surface temperatures can't be blamed he says it "may be the flow of warmer waters from the Antarctic Circumpolar Current."

“Something must be changing the ocean to trigger such changes,” Rignot told the Post. “We believe it is related to [manmade global warming]”, he added.
    Seems that below-surface ocean temperatures could use a great deal more study. That, and science and the media should learn to report gains in ice coverage and not just losses. Personally, I think it's all the hot air coming from the left that's raising temperatures :D
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 03:44 PM
    I’m trying to figure out whether to invest in property there or the artic; with the global warming and all one or the other may soon be tourist areas. :D
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    I’m trying to figure out whether to invest in property there or the artic; with the global warming and all one or the other may soon be tourist areas. :D
    I hear it can reach a balmy 59 °F on the Antarctic Peninsula. I'd start there :)
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Thanks for the info; from what I hear all I need to do is wait awhile and that will be the average ‘mean’ temperature. Now is the time to buy:p
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Between the suns external heat and the earths internal I'd say our goose is cooked.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Between the suns external heat and the earths internal I'd say our goose is cooked.
    Hmm, cooked goose?

Slow Cooker Barbecue Goose Sandwich

INGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons butter
    * 1 clove garlic, minced
    * 1 small yellow onion, sliced
    * 1 goose breast
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    * 2 cups chicken broth

DIRECTIONS

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add goose breast and brown on both sides for about 5 minutes, or until browned.

2. Place goose breast in slow cooker and add Worcestershire sauce. Add chicken broth to cover (approximately 2 cups) and cook on High setting for 6 to 8 hours, or until meat falls off bone. Shred with a fork and mix with your favorite barbecue sauce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't get over the thought of me having HPV [ 4 Answers ]

I was told 3 yrs ago that I had hpv. I had only have had one partner and he is now my husband, I have been unable to get in the mood to have sex. I know it is wearing on him. I just don't know how to get over and move on with out blaming him. I know that he did not know he had this virus and if...

What do you think she thought ? [ 17 Answers ]

Last night at church I saw the ex walk in with her guy, she left me to go back to him, we got on well but she never got over him, she left him because he did not treat her well, she says he has changed now, anyhow she did not see me when she walked in, but at the end of the service I saw them...

Just a thought [ 2 Answers ]

Think About It - The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire. - It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal the neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it. - Never test the depth of the water with both feet. - It may be that...

This thought hurts [ 1 Answers ]

a am the that wasw wuth jummy 8 years. Only thing is I hate to think of hi in bed with smeone else sis that ever happed to any of the ladies here>:confused: that's the main reason I stayed lame I know but also around the 5 th year I really was seeing things I chose not to in the beginning.

Never thought I'd be in a situation like this... [ 12 Answers ]

I've been in a committed relationship for almost 8 months now. I was with one man almost 8 years and when I split with him last year, I "sowed some oats" and then began seeing my current boyfriend. I'm 27 and he's 32. Problem is, I really love him and we're talking marriage in the future, but...

View more questions Search