Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Littlesissy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Quitclaim through probate?
    My mother in law just died. About 4 months ago she made out a quitclaim deed granting right of survivorship to 2 of her children. Back in the 1980s she had made a will saying all property left would be divided equally between all of her children. What is the status of the property listed in the quitclaim deed?
    corkyestey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Generally deeds with joint tenancy with right of survivorship mean that when one person dies that person's interest in the property immediately disappears. Therefore, probate/will does not control the disposition of the property. Your question may be something else like: Was the deed done properly? Under undue influence? Capacity issues, etc..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlesissy
    My mother in law just died. About 4 months ago she made out a quitclaim deed granting right of survivorship to 2 of her children. Back in the 1980s she had made a will saying all property left would be divided equally between all of her children. What is the status of the property listed in the quitclaim deed?

If the deed says the survivors will inherit upon her death the property is not held in her estate - it's gone directly to the survivors - so the "all property" clause does not refer to this property (which is no longer in her estate, having been removed by the quit claim).

You cannot take by Will what is not owned by the Testator (person who signed the Will).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Yes, if there was a deed done and it was recorded at the court house, then as each member dies, the other ones are the owners, this property does not go into probate, So in this case the two listed people on the deed are now the owners, And the other family have no claim to the property. Only the other items, personal property in the house, funiture, money in the bank, car and so on would be divided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quitclaim deed [ 5 Answers ]

We sold a house and the buyer is in foreclosure with his mortgage. There was an error on the books (house number wrong). The address is correct on our settlement papers. Lawyers call us and say that we need to sign a quitclaim deed since we have no interest in the house and because of the error,...

Quitclaim troubles [ 1 Answers ]

I need answers to a battle concerning my house... ok... one thing I need to know is whether a person who bought a house (me) quitclaim to oneself (me) plus another person(ex fiancee)? In other words is this hopefully not a valid quitclaim since it is from myself to myself? I am in law case with...

Quitclaim Deed [ 3 Answers ]

What do I need to do next after I have recorded a Quitclaim Deed through my County in order to sell my home? I received the property from my Mother who is deceased.

Quitclaim Deed [ 4 Answers ]

Property in question is in Virginia. My parents lived in and paid taxes on this property for 35 years (still paying). My grandmother listed on the deed her successors, which were my mom and her remaining living siblings at that time which was 28 yrs. Ago. Most others listed as property owners on...

View more questions Search