Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pouzeled Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Estate taxes and gift taxes
    I am the sole heir and executor of my late step Dad's estate. I sold the house as is for 155,000.00 and there waere two accounts totaling 20,000.00 plus two CDs totaling $8,000.00. Do I pay taxes on this? The estate tax is in IL and I live in CO. Also, if I give my brother and sister each $25,000.00 will I have to pay a gift tax on this? Thanks
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 08:38 AM
    You'll have to pay inheritance taxes on the cash accounts and gift taxes on whatever you give away. When you sold the house for $155,000 you should have to pay any taxes on whatever outstanding liens were satisfied from the proceeds of the sale. Only the profit, if any, would be subject to taxation.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 09:35 AM
    First off, it seems that the total value of your Dad's estate is under the threshold for owing any estate tax or for having to file an estate tax return. However, as executor you will have to prepare income tax form for your father's estate, which may include income earned from the CDs and possibly capital gains on the house sale (although probably no taxes to be paid on a house sale of this relatively small amount). If you gift $25K to each of your siblings then there can be implications with respect to gift taxes and the effect on your lifetime exclusion - these are gifts from you, not your Dad. It would be less risky and simpler to spread these gifts out over a period of years so that the amount to any you give to any one person is less than the annual gift exclusion of $12,000. You could give each sibling $12K in 2008 and again in 2009 and a final $1K in 2010 without any tax implications. And if your siblings are married, you can double the annual gift to $24K by gifting the amount to both your sibling and spouse.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Agreed; ebaines covers the topic well.

BTW, there are probably no STATE inheritance taxes due either, a sthey normally key on the same exclusion level that the federal estate tax uses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How does the California exemption for inheiritance taxes apply if there are two beneficiaries?

Inheritance (Estate) Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My mom has a home valued at approx. $800,000. Upon her death, she'd like to leave the entire estate to me, but is worried that the taxes I have to pay will be very high. Would the taxes be less if she divided the estate between my brother and I (about $400,000 each)? In other words, if I...

Estate Taxes in New Jersey [ 1 Answers ]

If a bank account is titled in my wife's name and sons name and I die, is her money considered part of my estate? Thanks Gamrobe

Estate taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How much must an estate be worth in California before you have to pay state inheritance tax?

Gift taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, THanks for you great advices and suggestions. I have a question? If your friend gives you some money as gift like around $15,000 Do we need to pay taxes on it? If yes how much tax do we need to pay

View more questions Search