Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LeoJ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 03:41 AM
    Credit card authorized user
    Hello people,
    I am new here but, I wanted advise from some experts on my problem. I wanted to know if I could be sued or held responsible for a debt as a Authorized user on a credit card account in Ontario Canada. I searched this site but haven't been able to find my exact circumstances. The primary cardholder is an ex of mine who moved out of the country without paying off her debt, some of which were probably mine. However, I gave her cash because she said she needed it before she left. Anyway the real question is, can the lawyer even track me, or would I even be held responsible for a debt that I didn't know about till recently after opening one of her mails that concerned me? Oh also, do they have to directly sue me with a letter in my name or can they do it in hers, and still hold me responsible?

Thank you in advance :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 04:37 AM
    If you are a secondary card holder you are responsible for the debt if they can't find the primary card holder. If they have your SSN#, they can track you. Yes, the letter will come in our name only.

While my son was going to college, I assigned him one of my cards in his name, for books and supplies which you can only do through the credit card company. As soon as he was done with college the credit card in his name was cancelled. I didn't want any debt assigned to him that I incurred if something happened to me.

Jan 21, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Thank you for your quick reply.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Jan 21, 2008, 04:54 PM
    The answer lies in the cardholder agreement.

In some cases only the account holder is responsible and not the authorized users (ie. Corporate cards, parents who issue an "in case of emergency" card for their teens).

In other cases both parties are responsible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 21, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Generally an authorized users is not responsible for the debt, because they did not sign the application. However, the card holder can sue you for any charges you made and did not repay.

Jan 23, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Thank you again everyone :)
    I left the lawyer a message asking if I held any responsibility at all and hopefully when they get back to me I'll find out.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Hello Leo:

On the matter of whether they can track you down...

They might not be able to. I don't know how well you protect your privacy. But, if they do, you're going to lose bigtime – biggertime even, than you could settle for now.

What I mean by that is the credit card company will eventually sell the debt, and it may be sold again, and then even again. Some bottom feeder may eventually take the time and spend the money to go to court to get a default judgment against you. With the judgment, they can attach your bank accounts and garnish your wages. The judgment will probably be two - maybe three times as much as you now owe. Your life will be miserable.

I don't know if you owe the whole bill or just your portion. In fact, I don't even know if you legally owe your portion since you didn't sign an agreement. But, if you don't confront it now, your chances to address it in the future will be significantly diminished.

So, I ask you, do you feel lucky?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Authorized User of Credit Card Account of Deceased - what now? [ 3 Answers ]

Unusual situation perhaps... I am the authorized user on a number of US credit card accounts on which my father was primary cardholder. My father recently passed away overseas (as a dual citizen of US and the country in which he died) and his estate is being handled by the court of the European...

First time credit card user [ 19 Answers ]

For first time credit card user Is 11.99% is reasonable rate? With mastercard no annual fee. Earning world points What do you think about the 95 cents per $100 protection fee? What would you suggest? Thanks.:)

Credit card authorized user [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I have a credit card issued by (Washington Mutual bank) from almost 3 years ago.. and I added my wife as an authorized user immediately after I received the card... after one year Citi bank sent us two new credit cards cause the old one has been expired so I knew that Washington mutual bank...

Credit card debt of indigent user [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter got herself into credit card debt and cannot pay any of it off, she is on social securit disability, does not own anything, does not drive, does not have a bank account and has learning disabilities and is 47 years old. She gets $610 per month which pays for her rent, medical etc. she...

Authorized user [ 4 Answers ]

I was made a authorized user by my daughter not even knowing about it.Then started getting phone calls from collection agency that I was responsible for the debt that has went unpaid. I explained I was only a authorized user not a co-signer and at the time the credit card was issued to my daughter...

View more questions Search