Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fairskin Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2008, 09:57 PM
    What is the cure for eczema?
    What's the natural way of curing eczema? I went to the dermatologists and she prescribed me topical steroid, I saw some improvements in the first 4 weeks thereafter non.What is the most effective way of curing eczema? Please help.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 10:10 PM
    You can try taking flaxseed oil or omega fatty acid. It takes a while to work but you can also try other things at the same time. Coconut oil is suppose to be good.

Jan 21, 2008, 12:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    You can try taking flaxseed oil or omega fatty acid. It takes a while to work but you can also try other things at the same time. Coconut oil is suppose to be good.
    Thanks Nohelp4u, I have started to take flaxseed oil already and zinc. I will buy coconut oil tomorrow and I will keep you updated.

Is there any other quick remedies though? Seriously I can't stand it anymore. I have it between my big thumbs and forefingers on each side. It look ugly, I hate it.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 01:31 AM
    I don't think there is a cure for eczema, but you can control it and sometimes it goes away on it's own. Steroid creams are usually the best thing for tough cases- perhaps you should go back to the doctor and see whether they have a stronger one they could give you. You may have also got it infected so talk to your doctor about an antibiotic cream- perhap this is why it has stopped improving.

Also consider seeing a nutritionist- it could be diet related. Or possibly stresss- do you notice you get worse when you are stressed out?

When this flare up does go away try to keep your hands moisturised to avoid future flare ups. An emoliant cream such as E45 would be useful.

Good luck

EDIT Is this a recent thing or have you had it since childhood? If the former it could be contact eczema and caused by something irritating your skin like certain chemicals, detergents, perfumes or metals like nickel.

Jan 21, 2008, 02:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    I don't think there is a cure for eczema, but you can control it and sometimes it goes away on it's own. Steroid creams are usually the best thing for tough cases- perhaps you should go back to the doctor and see whether they have a stronger one they could give you. You may have also got it infected so talk to your doctor about an antibiotic cream- perhap this is why it has stopped improving.

Also consider seeing a nutritionist- it could be diet related. Or possibly stresss- do you notice you get worse when you are stressed out?

When this flare up does go away try to keep your hands moisturised to avoid future flare ups. An emoliant cream such as E45 would be useful.

Good luck

EDIT Is this a recent thing or have you had it since childhood? If the former it could be contact eczema and caused by something irritating your skin like certain chemicals, detergents, perfumes or metals like nickle.
    Thanks a lot for your advice. I have actually booked to see the dermatologist again in the next 6 weeks. It's a long way to go, considering that I want it gone fast. I guess its OK, I am just getting really frustrated how its making me look dirty.

No it only started about 6 months ago, never had it before:confused: .
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Jan 21, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fairskin
    Thanks alot for your advice. I have actually booked to see the dermatologist again in the next 6 weeks. Its a long way to go, considering that i want it gone fast. I guess its ok, i am just getting really frustrated how its making me look dirty.

No it only started about 6 months ago, never had it before:confused: .
    I got it when I was 23 years old. It's on my right ankle, the right wrist-where the thumb part is, and on both of my elbows.

There is no cure for eczema, only creams/pills to help it from spreading and/or becoming inflamed. It really sucks because I know it is ugly and I have it on some of the most beautiful parts of my body.

Some other things that help are Oatmeal creams/baths. 2-3 times a week, I take a bath with the Oatmeal bath treatment in it, and it is amazing how much it makes your skin look better. I mean you can notice it as soon as you get out of the tub. Then I top it off with a lotion that has oatmeal in it.

You can get the bath/lotion with the Oatmeal in it at your local pharmacy/Wal-Mart anywhere from $4.00-$7.00. I like the Aveeno Brand, but there are cheaper brands out there. To me, Aveeno is the best.

Good luck to you.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 01:53 PM
    My daughter had it when she was 4 to around high school. She doesn't have it near as bad the past few years so it can go away or not be as bad even though there really isn't any "cure" I was also thinking, I sort of connected her eczema being partly due to inherited from her dad and partly due to her having been on antibiotics a lot.
    You might want to try taking probiotics and eating yogurt to see if that helps any.
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Jan 21, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    My daughter had it when she was 4 to around high school. She doesn't have it near as bad the past few years so it can go away or not be as bad even though there really isn't any "cure" I was also thinking, I sort of connected her eczema being partly due to inherited from her dad and partly due to her having been on antibiotics a lot.
    You might want to try taking probiotics and eating yogurt to see if that helps any.
    Yes, I've heard that it can be an inheritive (is that a word? :)) trait, along with stress, overly moisturized skin/overly dry skin. I've heard it all. It's different for everyone. Mine was due to stress, that is why I think I obtained it so much later on in my life. They say babies/toddlers are more prone to get this than adults.
    litelegs Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Whats the natural way of curing eczema? I went to the dermatologists and she prescribed me topical steroid, i saw some improvements in the first 4 weeks thereafter non.What is the most effective way of curing eczema? Please help.
    I don't believe that there is an actual cure for it, but it can be maintained. Mine first appeared at seventeen when I came to the states and I'm now 33 and I still get little splotches here and there from time to time. I did all the topical and prescribed medications and it's never really dissipated.

I'm originally from the islands and I noticed that I never had it when I was in Jamaica because I was mostly in the sun. I spoke to my Doctor and asked if a nice dose of vitamin C from the sun may help my skin (w/ spf of course). However in the winter it's harder as you can't sun in 30 degree weather. I'm not saying you should go tanning but when I have a flare up it works for me. PS I do use sunscreen at all times!!
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by litelegs
    I'm originally from the islands and I noticed that I never had it when I was in Jamaica because I was mostly in the sun. I spoke to my Doctor and asked if a nice dose of vitamin C from the sun may help my skin (w/ spf of course). However in the winter it's harder as you can't sun in 30 degree weather. I'm not saying you should go tanning but when I have a flare up it works for me. PS I do use sunscreen at all times!!!!
    I was just reading today that sun IS very helpful for eczema and psoriasis. It said that if you don't live in a sunny climate a tanning bed works too. Although I never recommend tanning beds as an on going thing but occasional would be okay.

Jan 22, 2008, 04:09 PM
    I agree. I was reluctant to give advice on using a tanning salon as some people either hate it or love it. I use it sparingly in the winter times and I can't complain. It keeps mine at bay.:)

Jan 23, 2008, 10:35 PM
    Thanks a lot for your advice, everyone. I will go back to the dermatologist first and see what she says. Solariums, hmm I am not sure about that. There is huge campaign against them here in Australia because of people dying from skin cancer. I will definitely go back to a dermatologist before I go to a solarium.

Jan 24, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Good luck. I hope it's nothing major!

Jan 25, 2008, 03:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by litelegs
    good luck. I hope it's nothing major!
    Thanks will keep you updated
    dragonfly_girl78 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Whats the natural way of curing eczema? I went to the dermatologists and she prescribed me topical steroid, i saw some improvements in the first 4 weeks thereafter non.What is the most effective way of curing eczema? Please help.
    I don't know if anyone already said this or not... I didn't have time to read them all---but something that works well for my daughter who gets really bad eczema during the late winter/early summer is Crisco.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treatment for Eczema - African American Skin [ 7 Answers ]

While I'm a very fair skinned AA woman my daughter is about Gabrielle Union's complexion. She inherited eczema from her father's side of the family and as she gets older, the breakouts have been more frequent in her face - leaving behind nasty dark spots. She also has these spots on her arms and...

Eczema & Boils [ 6 Answers ]

My son has terrible eczema all over his hands & wrists and it's now coming out on his arms. We've tried everything under the sun every dermatologist has suggested. His skin itches horribly, and every wrinkle on his fingers is cracked. He gets impetigo easily from all the open sores. At 16, this is...

Eczema & Dairy Products [ 6 Answers ]

My son (aged four) suffers from eczema. We use Diprobath and Diprobase cream. My son also suffers from various allergies and has mild asthma. I recently read that people with eczema should avoid dairy products - is this true? :confused: It has taken until now for the doctors to say that they think...

Pitted scars from eczema [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, is any one know the cure for eczema scars, I had eczema on my cheeks when I was a baby and since then I had these scars not ice pick because they are defined round and the color inside is dark that the rest of my face, is it true that because of my skin color laser would not work, I went to...

Son has Eczema [ 11 Answers ]

My 2 year old son has eczema. He has had it pretty much since he was born, nothing out of the ordinary, I know what to do for it. But he developed a patch of eczema that's kind of worrying me. Its on his leg right where his butt and his leg meet, and it's a large patch, picture the size of a...

View more questions Search