Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greatone1987 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Is it morally wrong
    I am 20 and I have a friend who is 33. We both like each other as friends but she has admitted she wants me as more. She is very attractive but I have doubts

Age is no problem for us but I even have to say the gap is large. I am worried that she might feel bad after it. Also that her friends would talk about her.

So I just need a bit of guidance
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 04:28 PM
    I see no reason to doom you to hell for dating someone 13 more years older than you.

And will people talk about you, of course, will her friends joke about her robbing the cradle , of course they will, will your friends joke with you and hand you AARP cards and things like that, of course.

I married a girl over 10 years younger, and I get the jokes on a trophy wife and all of that, But that is just part of it.

In the end, if you have doubts, wait till you don't have doubts.
    danfie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 04:28 PM
    You both are adults and if age is not a problem then I personaly do not see any thing wrong.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 04:49 PM
    You could tell her you want to give it more time until you know each other better and sure about things.
    Don't let age bother you. Nowadays it is so hard to find a good relationship that when you find one you should hang on to it and make it work.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Can't see the problem myself-her friends should not rule her life, or yours-move on enjoy your time together
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by greatone1987
    I am 20 and I have a friend who is 33. We both like each other as friends but she has admitted she wants me as more. She is very attractive but I have doubts

Age is no problem for us but I even have to say the gap is large. I am worried that she might feel bad after it. Also that her friends would talk about her.

So I just need a bit of guidance
    I'm thinking it is bothering you, if you have doubts, then don't do it. You are just now coming into adulthood and she has been there a while. Personally, I can't imagine what a 33 year old woman sees in a guy your age except maybe sex. But that's just me. Take your time. Don't do anything you are not comfortable with.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Age does matter in the end. Right now it's all rose colored glasses, but once you two do get it on and possibly get serious, things are going to change big time. You are too young for her to be anything other than a friend. A few years difference OK, but 13 years are too much seeing as you are just starting and she's been around the block a few times.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Well as I said, there will be those that will think she is robbing the cradle, but in any relastionship if you really work at it, or course can work.
    It has to do with shared interest and mutual respect.

Age has little to do with making a relastionship work, it is the commitment of each party to actually work at the relationship.

And in reality, with the women being older, it actually works out fairly well, since over all they have a longer life, so it could mean a older life together more evenly matched.

I would say that those that compain at 13 years at 20 and 33 would not if that was 35 and 48 where everyone has been around the block and back a few times.

In the end, if you both truly care for each other and if you both will work hard to make it work, it can work.

The reaso for our high divorce rate is more for the reason of lack of respect of each other and not being committed to workingit out.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 02:41 PM
    I think that the older woman and younger man is an *excellent sexual pairing*,was my favorite in my younger days, but depending on your maturity, you could be a couple of years too young for this kind of situation. [The media keeps saying that young people grow up later... as in 26 is the new 18, and so on... I don't know if they are correct]

Consider, just because someone wants to have sex with you doesn't mean you have to hop into bed with every Tom, or Harriet. You don't have any real future with a woman this much older than you are, but on the other hand, you could have some excellent times with her depending...

Life is about choosing what to do... some choices are going to be good and some are not going to be so good... but,

Best wishes to you
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 03:15 PM
    I agree with Choux. Many 20 year olds grow up to realize they no longer are "In love" with the one you once were "In love" with and
    A. mostly girls have a desire to be free again 'to go find myself'
    B. mostly guys end up not being mature enough to *keep up* with the girl
    They want to go hang out with the guys instead of doing things as a couple

If these two things aren't the case go for it!
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Jan 21, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Your initial question was "IS IT MORALLY WRONG?" As for as morality goes since you are not committed to anyone else, nor related it is not morally wrong. As for it being wrong in the practical sense - you are an adult and can decide for yourself. But the very fact that you are having doubts should give you a clue!!
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 08:15 PM
    It is not the morality or legality of it. You feel uncomfortable about it, and if you do, you should not pursue it at this point in time.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 06:58 AM
    There is a very real generation gap. Eventually She won't be fitting in with the crowd you feel comfortable with. Plus at 20 you really do not know what you want yet, (you only think you do) while she has already been through that stage of life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is wrong with me? [ 5 Answers ]

I constantly battle with my own conscience. Sometimes I'll feel really down and then I'll seem to have a conversation with myself in my head. All I hear are negative things like 'you're no good' and 'the world is better off without you.' A few times I literally punched myself on both sides of my...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

What could be wrong? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am a 20 year old female and I have been on birth control about 4 years or longer and stopped taking it last July. I never got a period until January. It is the end of march and I haven't go my period again. What is wrong with me>

What is wrong with me [ 7 Answers ]

I was in a 2 year relationship with my ex when we broke up. Our relationship was on the rocks because I found out he was not faithful to me. We had great chemistry and I was very much in love with him - he denied that he was unfaithful and confessed to only kissing someone. I felt that I wanted to...

Did I do something wrong ? [ 3 Answers ]

I know this guy that's in 2 of my college classes. He offered to help me with my homework. I went to his house, we did our work. We get along well and I really like him. Well one day he emails me and tells me that he would like to get to know me better than he does now. So we've shared info back...

View more questions Search