Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valintino1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Why do I have to have suppervised visitation
    I just found out that I have a beautiful 19mo baby girl that I just got to see on DEC 23.My question is I want o see my doughter sooooooo bad and to be a huge part of her life.But I would like to know now why I have to have suppervised visitation and to pay to see my doughter? PLEASE HELP ANY BODY tell me what I can do to see my doughter again and shed some light on why this might be happining.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Wow!I have a question-is your supervised visitation was ordered by court
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valintino1
    I just found out that I have a beautiful 19mo baby girl that I just got to see on DEC 23.My question is I want o see my doughter sooooooo bad and to be a huge part of her life.But I would like to know now why I have to have suppervised visitation and to pay to see my doughter? PLEASE HELP ANY BODY tell me what I can do to see my doughter again and shed some light on why this might be happining.

Why do you think visitation has to be supervised? Who is making that rule?

If you want to see her you go to Court - or go back to Court - get some Court ordered visitation, ask for non-supervised visitation, probably be ordered to pay some support - and if you haven't done so already get a DNA so you are sure this is your daughter.

Just finding out you are a father when the baby is 19 months is a little mind boggling.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 04:30 PM
    If you have no parent experience, sometimes the courts ( still gender bias) believes a man needs parenting classes or supervised visits till they show they can handle a child and also till a child gets to know a complete stranger, it is likely the child can be scared of you at first.

But in all things, you should know why, since the judge would have ordered it, assuming you went to court to fight for your rights to visit
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 04:31 PM
    The supervised visitation typically happens under these conditions because the child does not know the parent. This is kind of like a getting-used-to-each-other session.

Then the supervised visitation will move to a few hours a week alone with you, and gradually increase as you and the child get to know each other, to finally overnight and weekend visits.

It's just all because she is so young and the two of you have never met.

Now, about paying to see her? I don't understand that part. Are you talking about child support? That does not mean you are paying to see her. That just means you are sharing in the financial responsibility of raising her.
    dunno Posts: 160, Reputation: 19

Jan 20, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9

Now, about paying to see her? I don't understand that part. Are you talking about child support? That does not mean you are paying to see her. That just means you are sharing in the financial responsibility of raising her.

I'm thinking he has to pay to go to a visitation center. That's how it was with my fiance' when he was getting to know his daughter. He had to pay around $30 for a one hour supervised visit with his daughter.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dunno
    I'm thinking he has to pay to go to a visitation center. That's how it was with my fiance' when he was getting to know his daughter. He had to pay around $30 for a one hour supervised visit with his daughter.
    Correct!
    But it is possible for him to have visits supervised by the mother,family member or friend/who child knows/ without going to a visitation center.
    misha818 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Well Valentino, because you just found out about her, Supervised visitations is only part of the process you will have to go through in order for you to have shared an or sole physical custody. You need to understand that that she doesn't know you and the visits are just a way for them to see how well your daughter can adapt to you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visitation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my husband's ex wife moved to a different city, now he could only see his son on Christmas or New Year depending of the year and half of his vacation. This year he got for Christmas and his school brake is on the 18th, but his last day of school is on Friday the 15 now he wants to pick him up...

Trying to get visitation. [ 4 Answers ]

Can you please help me. Here is a quick background. I met a girl and had a relationship with her for over a year. I found out later that she was actually married and her husband was in Afganistan. Needless to say we broke up but had a baby before we did. She told me 1 1/2 years later he was mine...

Visitation [ 3 Answers ]

I was divorced in 2001 an my ex wife got sole custody, an visitaion was limited to stay in the state of CT, I live In Philadelphia an my kids would like to come visit but she won't allow them they are older now an I would love to have them over to visit with me in my home.. they are 16,14,12.. can...

Say No To Visitation [ 1 Answers ]

How old does a child in Massachusetts have to be to decide he or she does not want to visit a parent who has joint legal visitation?

View more questions Search