Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gemmonk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Moen Positemp-Temperature stability issue
    Hello!

I am a novice plumber--o.k. I haven't really done any real plumbing yet. BUT---we don't have much money for hiring a plumber, so I thought I would try the Internet.

The Problem:
    Hot water heater is fine.
    I get hot water throughout whole house, EXCEPT when we go to shower, we have inconsistent temperatures. It starts blazing hot when the singe dial is set at 12 o'clock, but as you shower, it gets cooler and cooler, until you have it all the way to the left and it's just tepid. Meanwhile, the sink still produces blazing hot water.

Sometimes the shower lasts longer if you gently tap the dial to the left as the temperature shifts, but mostly it's getting worse each time. Both upstairs showers (one a stall, one a tub) has the Moen Positemp dials, and the one in the tub started giving out first.

I bought a new cartridge to replace it, but after looking inside, there is no leaking or problems associated with cartridges.

I think it has something to do with the "rough-in positemp pressure balancing valve." Is that something I could replace? Does my 1989 or 90 fixture have that? Is that what is wrong?

Thanks for any advice!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 06:19 PM
    OK lets pull that cartridge to check for debris on the hot side, left. Remove the escutcheon plate and handle. Moen handles are attached 3 different way so if you can't get it off describe tha handle including location of plastic logo plates or little plugs. Once you have the handle and escutcheon off carefully pry up on the clip showing above the valve, above the stamp thar reads HC. Pull the cartrdige , clean and reinstall using a small amount of plumbers grease.let me know if you get hung up anywhere along the line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to make and have stability [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old little boy, I am not with his father, we separated when my son was 8 months, after I found out he was sleeping around, he has made my life a living hell for the past 2 years, I have now found a wonderful partener that cares so much for my son and has his best interest at heart,...

Outside Temperature and Indoor Water Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

I just have a general plumbing question. I live in a 4 year old luxury apartment building downtown and we have had an issue with our water temperature for the past month. (there is no cold/cool water... it is all hot - out of all the faucets). The building management is trying to say that this is...

Mental stability and abortion [ 4 Answers ]

Two years ago I had the worst summer of my life. My father died of cancer, and then shortly after, I found out that I was pregnant and had an abortion. At the time, I was so numb to the pain I was feeling. All I knew was that my father was dead, and that I was in no position to raise a child. To be...

Stability or passion did I choose wrong? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello my name is marisa and in about a month and a half is our one year anniversary I rushed into my marriage we dated for two weeks and then eloped he I suspect used me as an excuse to run away from his past as well as I did my first love was unstable but I truly loved him and he felt the same way...

Gasoline Stability [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Ford F-150 P/U that is only driven when we need a truck for something. It has dual tanks and I usually fill them both, empty them both, and fill both again. Probably only fill them up about five times a year. I recently read that gasoline goes stale over time. Does anyone know the life of...

View more questions Search