Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jan08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 06:13 AM
    From double pole to single pole thermostat -2 extra leads
    The double pole thermostat for the baseboard heater has a red and a black wire coming in (from the circuit panel) and a red and a black going to the heater. The new single pole only has a red LINE lead and a black LOAD lead. If I attach red to red and then black to black, I have black (from circuit panel) and a red (to heater) left over. Do these 2 get connected together? I didn't think you could connect a red to a black.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Yes, connect the black and red to complete the circuit.

Just keep in mind, that now using a single pole stat, this cannot be used to kill all the power at the heater, and the 2 pole circuit breaker must be used.
    dikbahlz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 11:52 AM
    Do you know where I can get a picture of the completed unit wiring connection or a schematic?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2010, 04:06 AM
    A wiring diagram comes with a new thermostat. What make and model number do you have?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

Thermostat - changing single pole to double pole [ 4 Answers ]

I am changing two thermostats on electric baseboard heaters from single pole to double pole so I can turn them off without flipping the breaker. The heaters are on the same dedicated circuit. The 1st box has 3 white wires wired together and 2 black. It did not matter how I wired the double pole...

Two Single Pole GFI's = one Double Pole 220v GFI? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello there, Installing a pool motor, 220v hayward northstar two speed. Could not find a double pole 40 amp GFI, electric supply store recommended two single pole 20A GFI's sharing a neutral? Does this make sense. I have a 40amp double pole in the main feeding the sub via the sub panel...

20amp QUAD double pole versus 2 20AMP tandem single pole [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 zones of baseboard heat, 3 of which were disabled due to the addition of a heat pump. The circuit panel is full and would like to restore the operation of the 3 zones of base boardheat. I was planning on removing 3 double pole 20amp 240 volt circuits and installing 3 QUAD 20 amp double...

Double pole or single pole thermostat for baseboard heater [ 2 Answers ]

A more specific question here: My 240v baseboard heater says it can be wired with a single or double pole thermostat. Since 240v is already "dual pole" with two hots, do I want to stick with a double pole thermostat? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each? Thanks.

View more questions Search