Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steveritz2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 04:49 AM
    Floppy disk failed ( 40 ) on my PC it works but how can I fix this
    My computer on bootup says floppy disc(s) fail (40), f1 to continue or del to enter setup. My floppy works but this keeps coming on on bootup, is there a way to fix this. I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows and its still there what could be wrong. It reads the floppy drive and I still get this every time, can you help, what should I do. Nothing is wrong with my floppy drive its working fine.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
    If you are getting this error when you first turn on the computer it basically means that the cable that connects to the back of the floppy drive inside the computer has either come loose or fallen off. Follow these steps to rectify this problem and many others:

Turn the computer off

Take the cover off the computer by unscrewing the 4 or 6 screws at the back of the tower along the outer edges

Now slide the cover off the back of the computer

With the cover off, turn the computer around so that you are looking into the open side , with the power plugs to your left and the disk drives to your right

Now lay the computer down on it's side with the open side facing up

If you look at the front of the computer , you should see your floppy drive, and if you follow the floppy drive inside the computer, at the back of the floppy drive there is an inch and a half wide gray ribbon cable plugged into it (or it may have fallen out) .

If the cable is there, grab ahold of it and wiggle it back and forth WHILE you are pulling it towards the back of the computer.

The cable should come off , line it back up and push it back in . Press firmly along the edge to ensure it is seated properly.

If the cable was not in the floppy to begin with, line it up and push it in .Press firmly along the edge to ensure it is seated properly.

Once you have done this , set the computer upright again and turn it on. If the error message is still there, repeat this process again, chances are the cable is still loose or you may have made a mistake.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Check the connections or change the drive, it may be going bad. Frankly, few people use floppies anymore. Most people use CDs or flash drives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floppy disk fail [ 3 Answers ]

I'm just putting a computer togather now when I turn on the computer after it's done all it's check it'tells me floppy disk fail how can I fix that?

Floppy disk problems [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! When ever I put my floppy disk in the computer it comes up with a message saying something like this: "no ID address mark was found on the floppy disk" And I have something really important on it... what do I do? :confused:

Floppy drive does not see disk [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Sony VAio pcv-rs720g running windows XP home ed. When I put a disk in the floppy drive it tells me that there is no disk in the drive and to insert one. I've tried a dozen disks. Also I went to device manager and deleted the floppy controller and reinstalled it, no help. I reset the AMI...

Floppy disk repair software [ 1 Answers ]

Hi folks, I am having frequent problems with my floppy drive as it is not reading most of the floppies. It will read only very good floppies such as monitor installation disks or floppies from top brands only. What I need is , where can i download free software for...

Floppy disk drive inoperative [ 1 Answers ]

Have a Dell XPS T600r computer. Floppy disk drive was installed by Dell. Recently, The drive doesn't work. It is shown as Drive A in My Computer, but when I click on it, it says " Please insert disk into drived A....I do reclick drive A and the same message reappears. If I try to copy something to...

View more questions Search