Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    koryo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 01:42 AM
    .xls: Linking Book1 with Book2
    I have a summary in Book1, which I would like to transfer to Book2.
    Does anybody has the proper formula? Thanks!
    mdosh01 Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Jan 21, 2008, 05:54 AM
    The following is from Microsoft Excel Help (look up "Create a link to another cell":

1) Open both the workbook that will contain the link (called the destination workbook), and the workbook that contains the data you want to link to (called the source workbook).

2) In the destination workbook, click Save .

3) Select a cell or cells you want to link from.

4) If you are creating a new formula, type = (an equal sign).

5) If you are entering the link elsewhere in the formula, type the operator or function that you want to precede the link.

6) On the Window menu, click the name of the source workbook, and then click the worksheet that contains the cells you want to link to.

7) Select the cells you want to link to.

8) Complete the formula. When you finish entering the formula, press ENTER.

So if I have two workbooks, "workbook1.xls" and "workbook2.xls" and workbook2 contains the value "abc" and I want to link that value to workbook1, the resulting formula in workbook1 will look like:

=[WORKBOOK2.XLS]Sheet1!$A$3

Where "[WORKBOOK2.XLS]" is the source of the data, "Sheet1" is the worksheet within that workbook and "$A$3" is the cell containing the data.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Linking two units through internet [ 2 Answers ]

We have two manufacturing units. Distance between two is about 15 k.m. Both units have boardband connection. We want to connect both unit network/server with using boardband/ internet. What technology we should use for this purpose.

Linking tables [ 1 Answers ]

How to link tables

Linking Excel Spreadsheets [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi There ANyone know how I can link excel spreadsheets to each other?:confused:

Linking a banner [ 2 Answers ]

My friend asked me the code used to link a banner pic inserted in his email to his website. He wishes to put the animated banner in his emails and have the recipient be able to click the banner and be directed to his website. The first question is how to insert the banner picture into his...

View more questions Search