Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alergic__1 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2008, 07:19 PM
    1st Month off Birth Control
    So, my husband and I are now off birth control :-0)
    How many months should we wait before trying to get pregnant?
    I heard you should have at least 1 period after stopping because before trying to conceive.

When would be a good time to start taking folic acid?
    When would be a good time to start seeing a doctor?
    Is there a type of multi-vitamin that I could start taking? Any suggesstions?

Thanks!
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Jan 19, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Take folic acid NOW. Take pre-natal vitamins!
    Go see a doctor ASAP

Jan 19, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Isn't it OK to wait until we get a positive on a pregnancy test... before we go to see a doctor?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Okay, let's start from the beginning.

You need to be taking folic acid now, actually you should have been taking it for quite a while now. All women of childbearing years should be taking folic acid so to aid in preventing neural tube defects such as spina bifida.

Now, you can wait until you are pregnant to find a doctor, but better yet, start interviewing now so that you can find a doctor you are comfortable with.

When was your last yearly female exam? What kind of doctor was that?

Jan 19, 2008, 07:49 PM
    I asked the pharmacist and they said NOT to bother taking folic acid because I was on birth control... so I guess I took his advice...
    My last exam was a little over a year ago... it was a gynacologist (if I spelt that right)
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Every woman of childbearing years should take folic acid to prevent neural tube defects such as spina bifida should you become pregnant and not know it.

These defects occur in the VERY early weeks of pregnancy and are irreversible. Birth control is not 100% effective, abstinence is the only sure way not to get pregnant. So every woman of childbearing years should be on a vitamin that contains folic acid.

I will never have another child, I have 4, 2 of whom were conceived on the pill, yet I continue to take prenatal vitamins.

If you are comfortable with your gynecologist, and it has been over a year since your last exam, I suggest you make an appointment for a pre-pregnancy screening just to make sure you are in the best health possible for pregnancy.

Jan 19, 2008, 07:59 PM
    I was comfortable with him.. only we moved about 5 provinces away... and he retired :(
    There is a shortage of doctors where we are living now...
    I'll make sure to get the folic acid tomorrow!
    What about the other vitamins? Can't I just take a multi vitamin?
    I was thinkng about asking the pharmacist... only... I don't understand why he would have told me not to bother taking folic acid until I am off the pill... I don't know if he knows what he is talking about...
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 08:17 PM
    I don't know if he knows what he is talking about either. Pregnancy is possible while on birth control, and you want to prevent these defects. Pick up a prenatal vitamin, they are the best and contain everything you need.

If your doc retired and/or you moved away, you might want to start interviewing doctors in your area so that you can find one you are comfortable with when the time comes for you to need him/her.

Jan 19, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Yeah we thought I was pregnant in a different post... the hcg levels were too low when I had the blood test... (when I was on b/c)
    We are going to have to do something... I think I would just go to a walk-in clinic or something... and they would refer me a doctor?
    I think that's how it would work here... I'm not sure
    So I will be getting the folic acid tomorrow.. and I don't know... I guess ask the pharmacist again.. about what other pills I should be taking as well...
    Do you have any suggestions ?

Jan 19, 2008, 08:29 PM
    About 3 years ago... I was told that I had a mild case of cervical dysplasia... the gynacologist told me that it was from smoking... and told me that I should quit or the abnormal cells could come back...
    He told me that it would possibly go away on it's own... or I could have some laser therapy... I said I wanted the laser therapy...
    Do you think that would lower my chances of having a healthy baby?

Jan 20, 2008, 04:55 PM
    OK.. so I have the PRENATAL and post partum supplement...
    Only when I asked the pharmacist about the foilic acid... she said I didn't need them because these pills that I have now have 1mg... do you think I should go back and get the folic acid??
    These pills are huge... It doesn't say if I chew or swallow... I am assuming I am suppose to swallow?
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Jan 20, 2008, 05:05 PM
    You don't need a separate folic acid vitamin, and multi vitamin. Get "prenatal" vitamin. It contains both in one.

Jan 20, 2008, 05:11 PM
    OK that's what I have then... I'm hoping I should be good to go haha
    Do you know about chewing or swallowing them?
    Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 05:59 PM
    You swallow them hun. And 4mg of folic acid is what should be taken daily.

I don't know your pharmacist, and I usually trust them, but from what you have been saying, I would find a new pharmacy.

Jan 20, 2008, 06:03 PM
    OK so 1mg is in the pills I have... I'll get out there and get jut the folic acid then... and keep you posted haha I'm sure when everything happens.. I'll be back anyway haha

Jan 21, 2008, 07:24 PM
    So.. I've been reading about these prenatal pills... sounds a little scary...
    It says not to take any other vitamins etc with them...
    I'm almost wondering if I should see a doctor to talk about these things... do you really think it's OK to take folic acid along with these pills?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 22, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    You swallow them hun. And 4mg of folic acid is what should be taken daily.

I don't know your pharmacist, and I usually trust them, but from what you have been saying, I would find a new pharmacy.
    I have to agree here.. your Pharmacist does NOT sound trustworthy. Talk to your doctor, hun. :)

so.. I've been reading about these prenatal pills... sounds a little scary...
    It says not to take any other vitamins etc with them...
    I'm almost wondering if I should see a doctor to talk about these things... do you really think it's OK to take folic acid along with these pills?
    Prenatals are not scary, they are very good for your body. Do they contain folic acid? Every brand I've seen contains enough folic that additional is not necessary. (I'm on a generic brand myself)
    Vitamins can be toxic if taken in large amounts, so that could be why your prenatals states that. I think you'd be wise to book an appointment with an OB/GYN to discuss your fears. When you go, take every bottle of meds/vitamins you have so he/she can see the exact dosage of each bottle.

Jan 22, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsIGo
    Do they contain folic acid? .
    It says on the bottle that they contain 1mg... only I have been told by others and you guys on here that I should be having 4mg... there is no way I eat enough folic acid in my daily diet haha

Yeah... first I need to FIND a doctor... I've been going to walk-in clinics for now... there is a shortage of doctors where I am now... I used to have a family doc and a gyn. Back home... he retired and we moved about 5 provinces away from home too lol... so that makes things hard also...

It also states... "do not take with milk or calcium" or whatever... so I'm assuming I can still drink milk haha but can't swallow them with milk?

Jan 26, 2008, 07:48 PM
    So... I've been having "weird" cramps this week... got the flu this week and also have a head cold... great!
    Don't understand why I would be having these cramps... and IF I WERE pregnant... it would probably be around 1 week pregnant... that's it... so I shouldn't be having symptoms like these...
    I don't think the cold or flu has anything to do with it... I just don't understand these cramps!

Jan 26, 2008, 07:57 PM
    I probably should have mentioned my last period ON the pill... (have not yet had one being off the pill)
    My last period was January 14 - 18... so my last pill would have been a few days BEFORE the 14th...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth control? [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend is getting the shot and I was wondering the chances of her getting pregnant if say I accidentally ejaculated inside of her?

Birth Control [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been together for 4 years. I am on the pill, but consistently miss pills every month, usually 3 or 4 of my active pills. He does not use a condom and does not use the pull out method. Of the 4 years we have been together I have not once become pregnant. We now want to have a...

Birth control [ 5 Answers ]

I have a really bad head ace but I also need to take my birth control but can I take them one after the other?? :confused:

Birth Control [ 10 Answers ]

Im 15 and have never had a pap smear I don't want to get one for a while either. I don't feel comfortable with someone I don't know doing that stuff to me. But.. Im thinking about havine sex with my boyfriend and I'm 100% sure nor he or I have a std and I want to go on birth control to be safe and...

View more questions Search