Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alergic__1 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2008, 07:51 PM
    So... I was wondering if anyone had an idea of when I would be starting my first period OFF because... my last period was Jan.14th-18th... This week I have been having very very sore nipples and also... the past 2 weeks I've been having cramps! This past Friday... I had some light spotting... as in... hardly anything at all there... not enough to go onto my panties or anything... just enough to see a little bit when I wiped... it was sort of a brownish pink colour... and it only happened that night... no more
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Your period couyld be off kilter for a month or two after going off the pills. While your body adjusts to lack of hormones.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 08:21 PM
    The average length of time that a period or ovulation is off after discontinuing the pill is about 5 months. Note that I said average. Every woman is different.

I have to admit that I have not read any updates. School has been grueling so far.

Did you get your answers about the folic acid?

Feb 5, 2008, 08:24 PM
    So the sore nipples and cramps for 2 weeks, and spotting is normal?

OK about the folic acid... I am still just taking the prenatal pills (which have 1mg of folic acid and a bunch of other stuff) I have FINALLY found a family doctor out here!! And guess what? / he specializes in babies and deliveries etc... isnt that great!?
    I meet with him on the 19th... because I need a pap and I will tlak to him about the pills I should be taking as well...

Feb 8, 2008, 06:50 PM
    OK... so... I already stated that my last period was January 14th - January 18th... now on my last post.. I had written that I spotted... NOW... today... which is February 8th... I spotted AGAIN... so I actually thought I had started my period this morning... it was about the same as what it would look like when I normally start.. maybe a bit of difference in colour... anyways... I have not spotted at all the rest of today...
    I don't really know what's up ?
    Any ideas?
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Could be your period gearing up. Remind me, if you will, how long you have been off birht control now.

Feb 8, 2008, 07:01 PM
    OK so my last period was January 14th... I never take the sugar pills... so my actual birth control pill with hormones would have been the 11th of January I BELIEVE...
    So not quite a month yet... I just don't understand why I am spotting like this!
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Duh, I knew that, it was in the title of your post. See how studying makes my brain mush. LOL

Now, it could take several months for your period to regulate since you just quit your pills. You may get some spotting for days before you get a period, if you get a period.

You see, while you were on the pill, your body quit making it's own necessary hormones. Now that you are off, it will take some time for your body to being making those hormones again, and it may take some time for them to build up enough to get a full period.

Feb 8, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Do you think there a possibility of pregnancy
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 07:17 PM
    I would love to tell you that there is a possibility. But, in all honesty, I can't.

There is no way to tell for sure at this point in time.

Feb 8, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Well I'll keep you posted anyway... and probably write about what the doc tells me when I go in... Thanks for responding!!
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Girl... Keep me posted.

Just remember, my nursing school schedule is HECTIC right now, so I may not be able to respond immediately. Fridays are my only slow day of the week at the moment.

Feb 9, 2008, 06:19 PM
    So do you think my chances of being pregnant are slim because of the cramps and spotting?
    Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 07:10 PM
    As I said, I really can't say. Again, I would love to tell you one way or the other, but that is actually impossible.

You may get some here who will tell you they think you are, or they think you aren't, but that is coming from their own personal experience.

While I do have experience (I have 4 children), I am also speaking from education and a job on a labor and delivery floor.

There is just no way to tell until you can take that test whether it be a urine or blood test. And then even, not 100% until baby is seen on ultrasound.

So, you are just in the waiting zone I am afraid.

Feb 9, 2008, 07:16 PM
    OK I threw somes dates in some ovulation calendar here... because it also shows when your period is... says that I should be starting on the 11th of this month... which makes sense seeing as my last normal period was on the 14th of January...
    Anyway... so I think I may buy a pregnancy test... maybe one with 2... I don't know yet... (first choice) and take one either tonight or tomorrow... and then if my period doesn't come by Monday... take one again that day...
    I don't know what I am going to do yet... it's probably just my hormones all messed up from lack of pills haha
    Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Don't take one tonight. They are more accurate if taken in the morning. Also, if you are supposed to start on the 11th, you would be better off waiting until you miss than taking it before you miss.

Feb 10, 2008, 10:37 AM
    OK I'm waiting until the 11th to test then... either that morning or the morning of the 12th... (because I could start later on Monday)

Feb 10, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Just wanted to add that I spotted again today... (feb.10)
    poppyabonnar Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alergic__1
    So, my husband and I are now off birth control :-0)
    How many months should we wait before trying to get pregnant?
    I heard you should have atleast 1 period after stopping b/c before trying to conceive.

When would be a good time to start taking folic acid?
    When would be a good time to start seeing a doctor?
    Is there a type of multi-vitamin that I could start taking? Any suggesstions?

Thanks!
    try now!! I got pregnant on the pill so I say do it and don't stop hehe x x x good luck x

Feb 11, 2008, 06:01 PM
    I just wanted to add that I started my period today... and OMG are the cramps EVER horrible! Never have I ever... which is really weird... about 7 or 8 years ago before I ever was on because... I never had cramps... only back pain... then I went on the pill... always cramps but not back pain...
    Now for the 1st month being off... the cramps are horrible and I also have back pain... that I can tolerate haha but the cramps are horrible! Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth control? [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend is getting the shot and I was wondering the chances of her getting pregnant if say I accidentally ejaculated inside of her?

Birth Control [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been together for 4 years. I am on the pill, but consistently miss pills every month, usually 3 or 4 of my active pills. He does not use a condom and does not use the pull out method. Of the 4 years we have been together I have not once become pregnant. We now want to have a...

Birth control [ 5 Answers ]

I have a really bad head ace but I also need to take my birth control but can I take them one after the other?? :confused:

Birth Control [ 10 Answers ]

Im 15 and have never had a pap smear I don't want to get one for a while either. I don't feel comfortable with someone I don't know doing that stuff to me. But.. Im thinking about havine sex with my boyfriend and I'm 100% sure nor he or I have a std and I want to go on birth control to be safe and...

View more questions Search