Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwwarren Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Using shower drain for washer - questions
    Thanks in advance for any help on my following questions. I am moving our washer/dryer to an existing bathroom. I plan on using what was a shower drain for the washer. We are on a slab and I believe the shower drain is vented already. I plan on installing a check valve to prevent back flow. I don't have room to also install a sink.

Will I need additional venting for the drain?

Is it a bad idea to hook a washer drain line directly to a trap (worried about clogging)?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2006, 12:02 PM
    If the current drain is vented properly, you have no further venting concern.

The washer drain needs a trap anyway, so utilizing the drain that's there is just fine.
    bwwarren Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks much rickj!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2006, 01:13 PM
    You're welcome.
    Happy washing!
    ... Is there such a thing? :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet drain questions [ 3 Answers ]

We're installing a new bathroom on the third floor of our old house. The toilet is on the wall opposite the 3” stack. The 3” drainpipe from the toilet will run horizontally about 8 feet to where it will pick up the 2” lavatory drain (vented) in a 3x3x2 wye. The 3” drain will then turn and drop...

Can a washer be hooked into my shower/tub water and drain? [ 2 Answers ]

Just wanted to say I've been reading all the advice you guys give out and I have to say I think I'm in good hands... My question is: I have a spare room on the other side of my bathroom that my wife wants me to make into a laundry room.. I can get to all the plumbing like the showerhead and...

Covert washer drain to tub drain? [ 3 Answers ]

My downstairs bathroom used to also be the laundry room, but I have relocated the laundry room. I am looking at adding either a tub or a shower unit to the bathroom. Can I covert the old washer drain into a tub drain? I am trying to avoid digging up concrete.

New shower/tub drain questions [ 3 Answers ]

I have received a permit to move my existing whirlpool to a new location and install a shower in the old whirlpool location. I have 3 questions: 1. I will be cutting into an existing 3" PVC drain and adding a 3x2x3 wye. From the wye I will have a short run of 2" pipe and then another wye...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search