Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robg22112 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 01:14 PM
    What to do?
    I've just tried to have support for my (20 yr.) old child ended. She is living on her own in a different state. When her Mother found this out she had her sign some papers stating that she was in school to keep getting the support. I also found out that she has gotten credit cards in my name and a few other people names too, and she has been giving my daughter name and s.s.n. to other people to claim on their taxes to get money while she was not working. What should I do?
    Momma to three Posts: 53, Reputation: 14

Jan 19, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Gather as much proof on this as you can and turn her in to the authorities. Contact the school your daughter is supposedly attending and have them let the courts know that she is not a student there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 01:24 PM
    In court, merely demand evidnece of school attendance. And perhaps a reminder that lying to the court is illegal and they can be held in contempt for doing so. But to the court object to the "letter" as not proof, ask for a letter from the college admission board, or a copy of her transcript or grades showing she is enrolled.

I would think the court would not have accepted a "letter" from the daughter esp had you been there in court to object to such

May I assume you don't have an attorney doing this for you ?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Gather as much evidence of these fraudulent activities as you can. Then file a motion in Family Court to have your daughter declared emancipated and the child support order terminated. Present the judge with all the evidence of these fraudulent activities you've mentioned. If she is legitimately in school then she should be able to produce copies of her transcripts ; otherwise that should convince the judge that she's not in school and constitute grounds for terminating the child support. Also contact all of your creditors and inform them that your daughter is NOT an authorized user on any of your accounts. If necessary, close the accounts. Finally, make sure that you daughter and your ex know of your intentions (after you have gathered sufficient evidence) to report their fraudulent activities.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Jan 29, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Document it all and take it to your attorney. If you know of income tax fraud, report it. If cards have been opened in your name, you can find out by getting a credit report. Close them and report that they were opened without your consent.

Let your daughter know you will not tolerate criminal behavior and give her a chance to discontinue doing this.

Report the ex-wife. She should know better by now.

Tell the other people who are being scammed if you know who they are. They can take care of their own issues with your ex-wife.

As for the child support issue, ask for copies of her school registration documents. If she can't provide proof that she's in school, bring that issue to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search