Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Imhandy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 09:21 AM
    ABS vs PVC gases
    I am a former handyman. One of my current co-workers made the comment that ABS is approved for use with pressurized gases ( compressed air ) and PVC is not. I disagree ! I have only seen ABS used for DVW. If I am wrong can anyone tell me the reference on this ?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 02:50 PM
    It sounds like he might be blowing smoke.

OTOH, a lot of municipalities are banning air tests on PVC DWV systems while still allowing air tests on ABS DWV systems.

The logic behind this is that an ABS system if over pressurized will simply bulge out or blow off at a glued fitting, while an over pressurized PVC system will shatter and shard.

I've never actually witnessed this myself, but I know a few folks who have.
    Imhandy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Imhandy
    I am a former handyman. One of my current co-workers made the comment that ABS is approved for use with pressurized gases ( compressed air ) and PVC is not. I disagree ! I have only seen ABS used for DVW. If I am wrong can anyone tell me the reference on this ?
    Thanks to Imagrowler for your input, I am really looking more at the piping being used as a compressed air supply system. I guess I need to set up my own experiment.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Imhandy
    Thanks to Imagrowler for your input, I am really looking more at the piping being used as a compressed air supply system. I guess I need to set up my own experiment.
    Yeah, I got that.

Hopefully you took the bit about PVC piping shattering and sharding when over pressurized to heart.

Both ABS and PVC DWV piping have pressure ratings stipulated by their manufacturers -- Hopefully you will allow these ratings to be your guide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dissolved Gases in Lakes [ 2 Answers ]

What factors affect the levels of dissolved oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide in the aphotic zone of a lake?

Gases [ 1 Answers ]

I have a smell in my house like raw sewage. What can I do to get rid of smell.

Worried about sewer gases [ 5 Answers ]

I have a small cottage (750 sq ft) and a septic (not sand mound). A plumber just installed all new plumbing. He added a sewer vent through the foundation to the outside of my house (where the toilet is)- it is 2 FEET tall. He said that vent will let air in to flush and a u shape pipe in the...

Choked flow of gases through an orifice or leak [ 0 Answers ]

How to determine the mass flow rate of gases under choked conditions is a question that arises quite often in fluid flow mechanics. Here are the applicable equations: http://www.air-dispersion.com/chokedflow.jpg

View more questions Search