Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rmachines Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 08:22 AM
    This is getting silly, I CANT install windows!
    Hi, I have installed hundreds of copies of windows in the past but this one has got me stumped!!

I’m trying to install XP Professional, I format the drive, its copies the files it needs then it goes to the main installation screen, but before it gets to install anything it says

“AN Error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing

On of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

Incorrect Function

Pres OK to view the setup log file”

I also the a message saying its encountered a CRC error instead of the above message.

I have tried everything I can't think of

I have tried XP Home edition
    XP Professional edition twice (two different disks) both no scratches or anything.
    A different CD Rom drive
    I have reset the bios so its all back to factory settings on the motherboard
    Two different hard drives (which I know for a fact both ARE working drives!)

The only way I have managed to get it working is by using window Server2003 that installs without problems. But that’s no good because the person I'm doing this for needs XP.

I’m stumped! What can I possibly do to get it installed?

PLEASE HELP! Cheers :)
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Try this if you haven't already, it describes your situation

Windows XP Setup Cannot Continue
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 25, 2008, 12:48 PM
    I would have to concur with what seahwk83 found. CRC errors occur when you have a faulty source drive or a media error. Try a different CD or try the install as the KB article suggests.
    Geoman2222 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 09:59 PM
    First set bios to Fail safe defaults

If that doesn't work check your memory

If that doesn't work check processor.

If that doesn't try a differen't hard drive.

One of the above is most likely causing the hault or even the mainboard could be the culprit. Only trial and error will solve this answer.

George
    Thegeekbusters.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install linux with windows xp already there [ 7 Answers ]

How to install fedora 7 with windows xp already installed.I am a lay man,so tell me step by step

Windows xp install music [ 5 Answers ]

OK this is stupid I know but I really like the nusic when you first install windows xp pro. The music I'm talking about is the music during installation right before you log on during network config. Now does antone know how or where I can extract that music? Gamer

Can't install Windows XP Updates [ 5 Answers ]

(sorry, the question title should be "CAN'T" install updates) I had to replace a dead motherboard. That went fine and WinXP seemed to reinstall without incident. (Yes, it is a valid, legal copy of Windows). I was able to validate the install and run the Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 from...

Can't install Windows XP Professional [ 3 Answers ]

Mine PC is all aboust to clash now so I want to start over by installing the Windows XP Professional but the message show up I have a new-er version so I can't install it. What to do now.

Install Windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Install Windows XP without floppy or cd drives from HDD.

View more questions Search