Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Jan 18, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Troble sleeping
    I am having trouble getting to sleep for some reason, it doesn't matter if I am really tired or just barly tired, it doesn't matter if I got to bed at 1 or 10, but I can't get to sleep, it takes me anywerer from 30mins to 3 possibly 4 hours to get to sleep, I am 17 and in high school, with a lot on my plate and the last thing is I need is less sleep, and it has been like this for as long as I can remember.

Can anyone help me out:confused:
    v_e Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2008, 10:40 PM
    If you are having serious sleep problems lasting more than 3 weeks, seek help from a doctor.

Until then try herbal tea with Linden leaf (Tilia estrella) and Chamomile (Manzinilla). Celestial Seasonings has a "sleepytime extra" tea that has both ingredients ant can be found at most local super markets. You can all try Relaxing Tea by Now.

You can also try Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl) 25 or 50 mg daily at bedtime. Try the generic brand from your drug store. This is the same drug that is in the sleep aids that are over the counter. If you are taking this to help sleep for more than 3 weeks you should see medical attention. You might have depression or anxiety or something else that is affecting your sleep cycle. Benadryl might seem harmless, but it's still a drug and should be treated as such.

CUT all caffeine out of your diet. This may seem strange since you will still be very tired in the morning. But, even a cup of caffeine in the AM can affect your body in the pm. Try Green Tea in the morning and throughout the day. Stop drinking the green tea 3 to 6 hours before bed time. If need be, wean yourself off the caffeine, until you can go cold turkey.

Set your bed time to be the same time every day, even on the weekends. Set your time to wake up to be the same every day, yes even on the weekends.

See below for other suggestions usually given by doctors. The following is from WebMD.
    Sleeping Better-Overview

We all have trouble sleeping sometimes. This can be for many reasons. You may have trouble sleeping because of depression, insomnia, fatigue, or Sjögren's syndrome. If you are depressed, feel anxious, or have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), you may have trouble falling or staying asleep.

Whatever the cause, there are things you can do:

Your sleeping area
    Your sleeping area and what you do during the day can affect how well you sleep. Too much noise, light, or activity in your bedroom can make sleeping harder. Creating a quiet, comfortable sleeping area can help. Here are some things you can do to sleep better.

Use your bedroom only for sleeping and sex.
    Move the TV and radio out of your bedroom.
    Keep your bedroom quiet, dark, and cool. Use curtains or blinds to block out light. Consider using soothing music or a "white noise" machine to block out noise.
    Your evening and bedtime routine

Having an evening routine and a set bedtime will help your body get used to a sleeping schedule. You may want to ask others in your household to help you with your routine.

Don't do stressful or energizing activities in the evening.
    Create a relaxing bedtime routine. You might want to take a warm shower or bath, listen to soothing music, or drink a cup of noncaffeinated tea.
    Go to bed at the same time every night. And get up at the same time every morning, even if you feel tired.
    Use a sleep mask and earplugs, if light and noise bother you.
    If you can't sleep

Imagine yourself in a peaceful, pleasant scene. Focus on the details and feelings of being in a place that is relaxing.
    Get up and do a quiet or boring activity until you feel sleepy.
    Don't drink any liquids after 6 p.m. if you wake up often because you have to go to the bathroom.
    Your activities during the day

Your habits and activities can affect how well you sleep. Here are some tips.

Exercise during the day. Don't exercise after 5 p.m. because it may be harder to fall asleep.
    Get outside during daylight hours. Spending time in sunlight helps to reset your body’s sleep and wake cycles.
    Don't drink or eat anything that has caffeine in it, such as coffee, tea, cola, and chocolate.
    Don't drink alcohol before bedtime. Alcohol can cause you to wake up more often during the night.
    Don't smoke or use tobacco, especially in the evening. Nicotine can keep you awake.
    Don't take naps during the day, especially close to bedtime.
    Don't take medicine that may keep you awake, or make you feel hyper or energized, right before bed. Your doctor can tell you if your medicine may do this and if you can take it earlier in the day.
    If you can't sleep because you are in great pain or have an injury, you often feel anxious at night, or you often have bad dreams or nightmares, talk to your doctor.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 10:44 PM
    13sldr - Talk to your parents about takeing you to a doctorand talk to the doctor about you having a test called ( SLEEP APNEIA TEST) this will answeer a lot of questions that you and your parents have about why you have trouble sleeping. I have gone through this myself, And I do highly recommend it. ::: good luck& GOD BLESS ,:::: F.B.E.
    Insomnia Guy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Judging by what you've said you sound busy and hectic - meaning stressed!

Stress, worry and anxiety are some of the biggest factors of a sleepless night. You really need to give yourself a break and not push yourself too hard. Go out and socialize - relax. Spend time chilling out in the evening and avoid thinking negatively.

Worrying about not being able to sleep is only going to do one thing...
    robsmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 07:10 AM
    I try to keep to this routine:

Exercise in the day.
    No napping.
    No caffeine after 6pm.
    No TV or computer late at night.
    A long hot bath before bed
    Lavender oil on my pillow.
    Blackout blinds.
    Keeping the room cool.

It seems to be working.

Try these out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troble shooting 93 pathfinder [ 1 Answers ]

Got into truck, no start. Lights, windows,wipers work but won't start. No clicking, spining. Jumped it and nothing. Where do I begin? Thanks

Restless sleeping/breaking the habit of sleeping on the bed [ 2 Answers ]

Our little shih tzu (8 months old) started well, but more recently has taken to sleeping under or on our bed. We took the path of least resistance and let him get away with it, but his constant licking, nibbling, flicking his ears around and general sleep noise is driving us nuts. Any tips for...

Relationship troble [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for 5 years. We have 2 kids together. I love him more then I can say. The first couple of years were great. Then he started to do drugs and is addicted. Ive tried ever thing to get him to stop. He always says he's going to stop and never does. I don't know...

Having troble with orgasm [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Well my boyfriend and I have been going out now for about 6 months and I can't seem to have an orgasm. It's not only frustrating to me but to him too. He tries really hard and I hate leaving him feeling like he isn't pleasing me. I was wondering if maybe having low iron in my blood could be a...

Troble starting my civic [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 97civic DX 5 speed with 116000 miles I have trouble starting my car some times a lot of the times I have to give it gas so it can start, some times when I turn it on and rev it up it seems like the fuel gets stuck or its running on three cylinder but after a couple of seconds it sounds...

View more questions Search