Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2008, 09:28 PM
    No permits for work done on house for sale,
    Some friends are looking at buying a new house but when I did inspection looked like much of the work done looks like no permits were pulled. When I asked the home owner they were evasive.

What happens if friends buy house and then a year later pipe bursts or house catches on fire because something was not to code? Is it "buyer beware"? :eek:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 10:19 PM
    I would advise not to buy that home. Unless they really want that home - but that make a condition to the sale that everything has to be inspected by someone licensed and any and all repairs done to meet city code. The seller would have to pay for that.

You are right - something could go wrong and then what? They are stuck if they do not get the proper inspection and work done before signing anything.

Did you report the work done without a permit to the city? Should be some penalties for the home owener.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklez
    is it "buyer beware"?
    Hello K:

It IS!

excon
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 02:23 PM
    It's not only "buyer beware", but if the work is seriously not to code and the building inspectors find out (for example, if they come out to look at other work), the new owner may be forced to remove all the non-code work. That may not matter if it's just a deck, but it's a big deal if the extra bedroom and bathroom suddenly get torn off the house because they don't meet code. And then you get into real problems, because your mortgage (and buying price) were for a (say) three bedroom, two bath house, and now you have a two bedroom one bath house if you try and resell it.

Personally, I'd walk from that deal unless they were willing to get the work permitted. There are cases where they will come out and inspect after the work's been done.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Call up the city (or if out in the country the county) and report them as not having the proper permits posted. The city or county will be out in a heartbeat to fine them and make sure the work is done properly. Being evasive doesn't wash with a building inspector. They have it coming if they are that lame.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Of course you did not say what work, a lot of basic remodel work (not plumbing and electric) will not always requrie permits within the limits of the city codes.

That is why when buying homes you have a very close home inspection done.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 09:10 PM
    What Father Chuck says about remodeling is true. I gutted my kitchen in my townhome, took it down to the bare walls and put in new lights, cabinets, sink, and appliances. Since I wasn't changing the footprint of the kitchen, the only thing that needed to be inspected was the new circuit they ran for the microwave oven/hood, since that was new.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax exemption after sale of house [ 3 Answers ]

I bought my house in Sept. 2003, live there for the hold time I owned the house until I sold it in Sept of 2007. Paid off a mortgage of 305,000.00 and walked away with 25,000.00 in my pocket. I only owend the house 4 years. Will I qualify for the tax exemption for the sale of my house or do I...

House for sale with renter [ 2 Answers ]

I am 3 months into a 12-month lease. The owner has listed the house for a "short sale". Does this mean that it is in foreclosure? What happens to my lease if the house is sold or foreclosed on? It doesn't address this situation in my lease. Do I lose my deposit? If the new owner doesn't want...

Tax on house sale profit [ 3 Answers ]

We own a house in Pennsylvania. It is our only hose and our family home. We bought the house in Sept 2006. If we sell during 2007 will we have to pay US tax on any profit? What happens if we make a loss - is this tax deductable?:

House sale profit [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are expecting to make a decent profit from the sale of our 1st house. We are separating so we will not be buying another house anytime soon. What kind of taxes/penalties should we expect to pay in order to pay off bills, split the profits, etc?

Enrichment? House sale [ 1 Answers ]

My perents got a legal separation and so that my mother can live by herself she they are about to sell a 5 familly house in brooklyn. They bought this house about 10 years ago and for the past 7 we have owned it but have rented out the apartaments and have not lived in it ourselves. We own and have...

View more questions Search